Pulling heads

Biggsw784

Reaction score
I have a customer that lost a roller lifter and the needle bearings got in the low pressure oil pump and pretty much screwed everything up. He wants to patch it together to sell and I have a some questions. I got the driver side head off today and pulled the first lifter tray and those 4 lifters were ok. The back lifter tray has the high pressure oil tube on top of it. How do I get that tray out?? It looks as that tube is soidered in??

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
What year is the truck? from what you described it sounds like like an 03, or early 04. If so those tubes screw into the high pressure rails. Just be gentle as they are normally pretty tight.

Reaction score
Oh.. Your talking about the branch tube. You have to take the high pressure oil pump cover off. But more than likely you have to take the rear engine cover of also. To remove the branch tube. It's gonna be the same issue on the other side too.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Might be faster and easier to buy a running engine, and just swap them out....especially if he is looking to dump it.

SootRoller

Reaction score
Pull it, that cam is going to have to be replaced along with the front cover. If he's looking to "patch it" he could replace the one lifter. For as cheap as the lifters are, I would just put a set in it.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
I just had an engine here do the same thing. I could not figure out where the roller needles came from. I do not remember any parts of the engine that had rollers like that. Looks just like needle bearings from a u joint cap.

Latest posts

Members online