Puttin a cat back on..real world effects?

slc6oh

Reaction score
So: call me a 50yo trapped in a 27yo body but im getting sick of the exhaust noise... (4" mbrp turbo back w/hog? Muffler)

Biggest thing is how loud it is at idle/off idle, the muffler i installed after the fact shut it up well at wot while still keeping a decent bark.. But winters coming up and would like to be able to have the truck warmed up in the mornings without the neighbors coming to my doorstep with pitchforks...

If i were to cut the ends off my factory cat and weld it into my exhaust, what if any loss in power/rise in egts are we lookin at? Worth even being worried about? Anyone have real world experience with this?

I know on my tow tune pushing it pretty good up a 6-7% towing about 10k 5th gear converter unlocked most i seen for egts was about 1300 even, (when it was just straight turbo back w/ no muffler) havent towed with the muffler on yet but round town i notice no change.

Snake

Reaction score
Personally, I'd consider a different muffler or adding a FTE resonator before putting the cat back on. But to answer your question, you can expect a slight decrease in fuel economy and a slight increase in EGT's.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Personally, I'd consider a different muffler or adding a FTE resonator before putting the cat back on. But to answer your question, you can expect a slight decrease in fuel economy and a slight increase in EGT's.

Good thinkin! Seen those before but forgot. Think in conjunction with my muffler it will shut up some of the "vaccume cleaner" at idle??

CyrusLoewen

Reaction score
There's a guy on here that has a 41 inch Donaldson muffler on his 6.4.... Nice and quiet....

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

slc6oh

Reaction score
I dont mind some noise but **** its loud at idle. Might make a dummie cat shell over one of them resonators, that way ill "pass" emmesions too without having to jump through hoops

slc6oh

Reaction score
Im just mostly trying to shut it up at idle/low revs, the resonator help down low?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
the cat will kill the noise

but a different muffler design will also

if the Hogg is a non-packed muffler or is just flat out whooped, it's not going to kill the turbo hiss. nor is a donaldson

You need a glasspack style muffler. the roving/woven packed style mufflers kill high frequencies.

an FTE resonator is non-packed design

personally, I say slap the cat on it because you've already got it and see what you think. I guarantee it will kill the noise you dislike.

otherwise, I would replace the current muffler with the biggest packed style muffler you can find (diameter and length) If that didn't suffice, you could go with another one up where the cat is. even something like a Dynomax bullet type glasspack will eat up turbine noise. That's what Ford did on the '03 6.0's. They have a small glasspack style resonator on the downpipe that aimed at eating up turbine whistle

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
The FTE resonators work awesome and are pretty cheap. I have not had one on a 6.0, but I had the 30" one on my 3rd gen cummins and it made the truck very quiet, but still had a nice deep tone. I highly recommend them.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
FTE resonators work awesome for resonance...

he is not trying to target a droning exhaust resonance... he is trying to kill the sound of the turbine at light throttle take off.

the catalyst will kill that, but a packed style muffler or resonator will specifically kill high frequencies like those that come from the sound of the exhaust turbine... this is why Ford used that exact style resonator on the '03 6.0's

slc6oh

Reaction score
Yea i know the fix all would jus go fixed turbo already haha but little outta the budget atm, cruising/towing theres no drone and the sound is great, but jus tryin to kill some turbine noise in an attempt to not be that asshole neighbor, (the muffler did next to nothing for turbine noise)

Ill look into a smaller free flowing packed style resonator... Any recomendations?

Modding/the. Re instslling the cat is seeming more like what im gonna come down too... Tenths of a mpg is im sure All it would account for, not sure on egts tho

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
a 4" Dynomax bullet will help a lot. get the longest one they have. it will fit just fine

I doubt you'll notice anything major w/ the addition of the cat, honestly

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
FTE resonators work awesome for resonance...

he is not trying to target a droning exhaust resonance... he is trying to kill the sound of the turbine at light throttle take off.

the catalyst will kill that, but a packed style muffler or resonator will specifically kill high frequencies like those that come from the sound of the exhaust turbine... this is why Ford used that exact style resonator on the '03 6.0's

I should have been more specific. I believe they classify their 30" long one as a muffler/resonator. I think the 30" would be pretty effective for what he wants.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
yet still not designed to absorb the high frequency range and probably more restrictive than the OEM cat with 4" inlet/outlet :eek:

(and more expensive to boot)

Merc82

Reaction score
Any updates on this? Been thinking of getting a Dynomax for mine.

superpsd

Reaction score
I run a Banks Monster. They had been on close out at around 100$ for a 4". See right thru it and has no louvers. However the exhaust is as quiet as a stock muffler.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.