Questions on buying used 7.3 HIGH MILES

bigl110

Reaction score
Hello my name is Laurence. New to the forum and I am looking to buy my first diesel. I have decided on a 7.3 but the only crew cabs in my area are 250000 plus miles. I'm ok with that because I have a commuter I can use if the truck needs some type of overhaul. I found this very nice lifted one but it has 380000 miles. Kinda scary to me but it has everything I would want to do to it already. I looked up the price of a riffraff rebuild kit and it's fairly priced. What is a real offer for this truck in your mind? Thanks for the help!

2000 f350 7.3 dually lariat $14500
http://eastnc.craigslist.org/cto/5353769880.html

bigl110

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking around 6000 max. Am I a fool for wanting to buy something with so many miles tho? My budget is very limited and I would rather buy something and have the work done myself since most sellers around here have no service records for their trucks. There are plenty 6.0s around here but all are 2004s and I've been told to stay away. I'd rather have the 7.3 since it's a bit cheaper to maintain and I could learn some things along the way.

patricku47

Reaction score
Personally, I would hold off until you can afford a truck with less miles on it. Getting something with that many miles can turn into a money pit in a hurry. It isn't just the engine you have to worry about, they can and will nickle and dime you to death....

bigl110

Reaction score
Yea you guys are right. I'm just having trouble finding a decent rig for under 10k. Am I correct about the 7.3 being easier on my wallet than the 6.0s? Every truck on Craigslist is a 6.0 but the scare me lol. Thanks for the advice I will hold off until the right deal comes along. I appreciate this forum a lot, you guys have the expertise a young guy like me needs.

bigl110

Reaction score
What would be the highest mileage to have as a cut off point when looking at these?

isootmypants

Reaction score
Why have a diesel then? I'm not tryin to be a d!ck but you're asking a lot for 10k. Save another 5k if you want a decent diesel. You can a damn nice gas Chevy for 10k.

patricku47

Reaction score
After owning a few 6.0 trucks, I couldn't go back to a 7.3l, though I am sure there are plenty of people that would disagree with me. Maintenance is key with any used truck, but even more so with a 6.0. Unless I could find one that was owned by an older guy that had all the maintenance records, I personally wouldn't buy anything with more than 200k on it.

1stock13

Reaction score
I'd stay away from anything lifted, or blinged out. I'm sure that truck has seen abuse, not to mention the geometry of the truck has been thrown off adding stress to the drive train.

bigl110

Reaction score
I have a Tacoma As of now and I plan to give that to my wife as her daily. I have wanted a diesel for awhile now and I do plan on a boat and camper in the future. Would rather have a truck that can haul anything I could think about owning from here on out. I just sold my Silverado to buy this Tacoma in October. I have been researching for awhile and I'm getting close money wise to be able to pull the trigger. But I figured it would be better for me to find a decent truck and put a little money in it vs paying more and having to spend more on top of that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

bigl110

Reaction score
And I know if I buy for under 10k it's not going to be my dream truck. I understand I might have to bulletproof and or do some other work to it. Just trying to find the right balance in price, wants, and needs that's all. Once again I appreciate the feedback. I have looked at the classifieds on the forum and I wouldn't mind buying from a user here seeing you guys really know your stuff with these rigs. Dealerships are sketchy since these military guys around here buy whatever and don't care about the little things etc. so they feel they can get off on guys like me. Hell all the used dealers that specialize in diesels jack their prices up and the dang trucks sell but I digress.

patricku47

Reaction score
I gave $5500 for my super clean RCLB XLT 4X4 because it had 1 weak injector. It was a 1 owner truck, owned by an elderly gentleman that had every maintenance record for the truck since it was new, and it only had 150k on it when I bought it. There are deals to be had, you just have to look for them.

bigl110

Reaction score
Yea I see some deals here and there especially with ext cabs. Have my eyes on a 04 ext cab superduty with 188000 the carmax seems ok from what autotrader shows but anywho I thank you guys for keeping me grounded lmao need that every so often. Don't want to jump the gun with money like this!

mandkole

Reaction score
Heavy truck motors are usually still going strong at 380K, but most light truck engines and trucks are often pretty ragged by that mileage. A nice 7.3 can be found, but it will take awhile and most real nice ones with mid 100s mileage are in the 15K range.

For a first time diesel, there is what looks like an awesome KR 6.0 in the classifieds from a well known forum shop that will go for $12K

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65731

sootie

Reaction score
Heavy truck motors are usually still going strong at 380K, but most light truck engines and trucks are often pretty ragged by that mileage. A nice 7.3 can be found, but it will take awhile and most real nice ones with mid 100s mileage are in the 15K range.

For a first time diesel, there is what looks like an awesome KR 6.0 in the classifieds from a well known forum shop that will go for $12K

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65731

:whs: i would strongly look at the truck in that link....

Latest posts

Members online