Questions on used 38r

TjMiller

Reaction score
I just picked up a used 38r from the classifieds and wanted to know if there is anything I should look for to make sure the internals are in good shape. From appearance the turbo seems to be in very good condition, just want to be sure I don't have problems. I checked shaft movement and it is much tighter than a journal bearing but still moves just a bit.

Layson

Reaction score
Yeah I would think just shaft movement. Then just make sure it has all the bolts on each housing. I would just make sure one is tight, sometimes people take those off and on...

TjMiller

Reaction score
What layson suggested is pretty much the only thing to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to have some end play, as I can move the shaft in and out a bit. Trying to find out if that is acceptable. My stock turbo that was rebuilt doesn't seem to have any movement in and out although side to side is much more.

hucorey

Reaction score
Ball bearing turbo will have more shaft movement than a journal bearing turbo. No more than a 1/16" total end play and as long as the wheels dont touch the housing your golden.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Need to look for oil residue on the exhaust side. If none, then the seals are good. Like said above, in and out shaft play is common on a ball bearing turbo. Just don't want any rubbing between the compressor wheel and the housing.

TjMiller

Reaction score
Need to look for oil residue on the exhaust side. If none, then the seals are good. Like said above, in and out shaft play is common on a ball bearing turbo. Just don't want any rubbing between the compressor wheel and the housing.

Thanks for replies. Didn't really consider the seals. Turbo is dry on both sides. In the event of a seal failure on the 38r can they be replaced? Is there anything that makes them fail prematurely?

Latest posts

Members online