quick exhuast leak question

OSCS

Reaction score
Soooooo when my donor motor was pulled out the up pipe bolts where cut and whomever did so also cut into the damn manifold.. i didnt see it untill after i dropped the motor in :cursing: there is a perfect little rectangle hole on the cone of the manifold that "plugs" into the up pipe. Sooo naturally i have a nasty ass exhuast leak. My question is this, can i just mig weld the hole? im not a professional welder but i know my way around one. I REALLY REALLY dont want to yank it although i do have spares if needed

neverkickn

Reaction score
No. Too much flex there when chit expands. You need to do it right and replace the manifold.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Mike, I am very sorry on that. One of the guys that helps me has probably done that. :fustrate: If I dont watch them all that time this is the **** that happens.

Anyway, a couple options. As small as that hole sounds you could probably weld it and be fine. I do weld on cast sometimes as long as its not steering related. The other thing I have to do pretty often on trucks that have had pyros taken out. Drill the hole out and tap it to a pipe plug or bolt size.

If you do pull the manifold for whatever reason I personally dont use the gaskets when going back together. The gaskets eventually seem to detoriate and blow out. I true the manifold up and the block the best I can and bolt it back up.

I think the first 2 options are you best bets. IMO. Once again I apologize for the hassle.

OSCS

Reaction score
Mike, I am very sorry on that. One of the guys that helps me has probably done that. :fustrate: If I dont watch them all that time this is the **** that happens.

Anyway, a couple options. As small as that hole sounds you could probably weld it and be fine. I do weld on cast sometimes as long as its not steering related. The other thing I have to do pretty often on trucks that have had pyros taken out. Drill the hole out and tap it to a pipe plug or bolt size.

If you do pull the manifold for whatever reason I personally dont use the gaskets when going back together. The gaskets eventually seem to detoriate and blow out. I true the manifold up and the block the best I can and bolt it back up.

I think the first 2 options are you best bets. IMO. Once again I apologize for the hassle.

No worries Seth I had a feeling it was the help. The weird thing is that after I tapped a hole for the egt probe it seems to be louder but here are no signs of it leaking from the probe tap. Also I don't think I could drill a hole and run a plug as the hole is right on the cone part of the manifold, it would never seal properly. Ill probably try to just weld it first and see what happens.

neverkickn

Reaction score

If I understand correctly it happened on the flare of the manifold in which case a plug will not work. The other thing is welding the uppie to the manifold in one spot will not hold permanantly due the movement of the joint and the different expansion rates of the different metals. Not to piss on your experience but he really needs to put in a new manifold.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Oh, I see. The uppie isn't cut so you would just be welding the manifold. In that case you should be able to fix it with a good weld but I would tig it if you could. It might be a pain in the azz to get the flare cut back right though.

OSCS

Reaction score
Oh, I see. The uppie isn't cut so you would just be welding the manifold. In that case you should be able to fix it with a good weld but I would tig it if you could. It might be a pain in the azz to get the flare cut back right though.

Yeah it's just a hole in the manifold itself. All I have access to is a 110v lincoln non gas mig.. Well see what happens I guess

ryanss22

Reaction score
There cast manifolds, best bet is to clean up the rust with a grinder, heat with a torch and braze... Can't really mig weld any cast, enspicially with flux-core gasless.... Won't stick and will look like hell.... I'm a welder by trade, bite the bullet and just by a replacment one

OSCS

Reaction score
There cast manifolds, best bet is to clean up the rust with a grinder, heat with a torch and braze... Can't really mig weld any cast, enspicially with flux-core gasless.... Won't stick and will look like hell.... I'm a welder by trade, bite the bullet and just by a replacment one

I have spares, I am considering a set of headers though

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online