Rain water in motor

Thomas7.3psd

Reaction score
Got ahold of a forged motor but it looks like their cover leaked so its got rain water in it. I drained it all out pulled the oil pan and sprayed wd40...it must have just leaked because there is no rust but whats my next step? should I pull the heads and make sure their is no water or just pull the injectors and shop vac it. Need recommendations.

Goal of motor, it will go into my 02 for the forged rod dream so I need to preserve it best I can. Thanks

Thomas7.3psd

Reaction score
Arisley your about the only name I recognize from my time on here years ago. I know you know what I should do. Im all ears. Thanks

Thomas7.3psd

Reaction score
I should add that the water came from the turbo mount, it was taken off..their was a small amout of water in the intake on the driver side also...

superpsd

Reaction score
Many ways it can be saved. How long was water in the engine. I would put it on a stand, remove glow plugs and rotate motor upside down. Use compressed air and or vac to make sure water is gone. Rust will be next issue but there are many ways to remove the rust without removing the head. I have never had to remove cylinder wall rust with heads on but I may try to pour a rust removing product like Metal Rescue (good stuff also environmentally friendly) down the glow plug holes and let sit then drain. Also of course pull intake covers and inspect clean valves and ports. Last I would pour a little motor oil down each glow plug hole and bar motor over to lubricate cylinder walls.

Thomas7.3psd

Reaction score
Ok thankyou, I don't think the water has been in very long maybe a few days they just pulled the motor. I'd pull yhe head but then I'd ha e to buy studs so I'll try your way thanks.

Thomas7.3psd

Reaction score
yes the turbo was off and the plenum open but the had it cover just not well enough I guess.

Arisley

Reaction score
Personally, I would completely fill the motor with oil. Crankcase until oil came out of the oil fill spout. pull the glow plugs and fill the cylinders with oil and let it sit for a while. Maybe invest in five gallons of liquid Wd-40 and fill it with that instead. Compressed air and vacuum will not get everywhere.

Leave it like that for a day or two, empty it out, purge it out and get it on a stand and running ASAP. Get that thing up to operating temp. That will cook off any water.

Thomas7.3psd

Reaction score
I know I asked so thankyou for the reply..I won't be able to get it running for some time but I'm thinking of just pulling the heads and coating everything in oil and wd40 just to be safe then I can keep an eye on it aswell ?...I'll have the injector cups and springs done..might as well get studs:)

Thomas7.3psd

Reaction score
glad I pulled them think I got it just in time getting it cleaned up now . I'd post some pics but I don't remeber how :eek:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.