Ran out of fuel.truck wont start.Need help

TX08

Reaction score
I have a 2008 6.4 powerstroke..I was at 15 miles until empty (according to my dash) when i ran out of fuel..the truck just shut off while it was rolling.I tried to crank the truck but it just turns.I put 5 gallons of diesel back in it and it still just turns.

I read that i have air in the lines? i also read that i should pop the cap on my fuel filter under the hood and fill it with diesel then put the cap back on and it should start? what do yall recommend i do? im gonna get up in the morning and go get my truck running,just figured i would see if anyone could suggest a simple way to bleed the fuel lines? Thank you very much..Christian

Dweber

Reaction score
6.4s can be very hard to prime back up. Just fill the canister then crack the lines sometimes u have to crank on it several times before it will fire

78f100

Reaction score
They take a long time to prime, I never ran out of fuel but anytime I've had a fuel system apart it always takes a while to prime back up. Cycle the key lots and make sure the bowl is full.

TX08

Reaction score
6.4s can be very hard to prime back up. Just fill the canister then crack the lines sometimes u have to crank on it several times before it will fire

crack the lines? do you mean the schrader valve and banjo bolt?

Reaction score
Don't go by the miles to empty, but you are gonna have to bleed the crap out of it. Cycle key, loosen banjo bolt closest to fire wall on top of fuel cooler with koeo. Thenalighly tighten and turn key to off.. Keep doing it, gonna make a mess but it will start.

TX08

Reaction score
UPDATE: i did what PowerStrokeEnginuities recommended and it worked..took about 20-30 minutes total.I just turned the key forward with engine off and opened the banjo bolt and waited for the bubbles and fuel to quit spewing out and then i would retighten the banjo bolt hand tight and then turn the key off..key back on and open the banjo bolt again and I repeated this process like 5 or 6 times before making an attempt to start the truck..

when i did make an attempt to start the truck,it started after a few times but just for a few seconds and then it would shut off.i repeated the banjo bolt process a few more times and then it finally started and i was able to drive my truck home..Thank you for all yalls responses,it was very very helpful..all i needed was a crescent wrench,some rags,and luckily i had some leather gloves..Thanks guys..

and yes my truck is tuned..Appreciate yall,Christian

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Glad it is resolved. I was thinking that it would sputter like mine did. Even after it died it would restart briefly. I had no clues as to what it could have been. Again glad it was a fairly easy fix.

TX08

Reaction score
Glad it is resolved. I was thinking that it would sputter like mine did. Even after it died it would restart briefly. I had no clues as to what it could have been. Again glad it was a fairly easy fix.

thanks man..Im just glad she aint sittin on the side of the road again haha.Mine wouldnt start at all until i started bleeding bubbles out of the banjo bolt.i made a pretty big mess,there was diesel shooting out everywhere..again thank yall..yall were a big help!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.