Random Stalling, like someone just turns key off.

RimTech

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
In desperate need of help and suggestions.
Truck is just randomly stalling or turning off, starts right back up. It started doing this after my batteries finally quit, I did an oil change with new FL-1995-A filter, and did the upgraded fuel pressure spring from 86'd (not the blue spring) also did the fuel bowl spring mod but not sure if this was before or after the issue started.
I would drive it on the high way or around town, really doesn't matter. But would notice drove fine for a while then started to rough idle at a stop, press on the pedal and it would be like someone just turned key off. Starts right back up. So I would get home, rev it up and again just shut off, but always starts back up.
So last time i got off on an exit and hit a red light, started idling rough, light turned green, hit the pedal and it shut off and a car almost rear ended me. So I figured park it because if i try and cross traffic and it does this then that would be bad news.
So after it started doing this with a mild rough idle I have since thrown the following parts at it. All OE.
2 CPS's
Ignition Switch
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump
So I looked into the new MotorCraft oil filters and they moved the bypass from the top of filter to the bottom. So I figured why not try and just swap to a WIX to see.
When I dropped the MC filter it was almost empty, very little oil was in the filter itself, maybe 1/4qrt of oil.
So I thought, this was my issue, installed the WIX and everything was good for about 2-3 weeks then it started happening again and every now and then would surge or chug while driving.
So dropped it off at the dealer for 2 weeks, they couldn't find anything so they had me come drive it with the service manager to try and get it to do it again and of course it didn't.
So brought it home did more research and thought it might be the ipr, so ordered a MC one off Amazon, it came in the MC packaging but one review said that they were not genuine MC.
So installed that and wholly smokes, the loudest clacking I've ever heard, unbearable with hood open. Drove around block and good night it was horribly loud and idled like garbage.
My ipr was clean and looked great, nothing gummed up on it or anything, so cleaned it up and threw it back in and thankfully back to no loud clacking.
I like my truck and have had it since 09' and now had 338k miles and is probably one of the quietest 7.3's other than the now random shut offs it's a great truck. I'm to the point of either trying to sell as is, park it for good and forget about it.
I need a truck for work but just getting into this and not knowing if it will or when it will just shut off is a bit of a headache.

Any ideas that I can try would be greatly appreciated.

A little more info on the truck.
Oil changed every 3-5k miles
Fuel filter every other oil change
38gtr installed years ago.
New injectors about 3 years ago. 1.5's
SCT plug and play, but now returned to stock.
New valve cover gaskets and harnes about 3 years ago, same time new injectors were installed.
Big air filter
Exhaust
Other random crap that probably doesn't matter. lol

I'm not new just forgot all my info so made new account.

Thanks!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Do an oil aeration test. Hold it at 3k for 2 minutes, while watching icp and ipr duty cycle. If the ipr duty cycle starts to go way up, and icp starts doing funny stuff, or it stalls prior to the 2 minute mark, I’d be checking the pickup for issues. Add an extra 5 quarts and jack up the ass and see if it’s fine. Put an oil pressure gauge on it, and watch that, at idle should be around 20-30ish, higher rpm’s, above 50ish. Can’t tell you how many issues I’ve seen with plugged pickups with silicone after someone had done an oil pan or something. Seen pickup tube gaskets wore the f out after hundreds of thousands of miles, etc.

But what he^ said is accurate as well. I’d check that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Have you checked to see how full the HPOP reservoir is after it shuts off on you? Before cranking it again. It also might not hurt to install a oil pressure gauge on top the HPOP reservoir just to see whats going on. I now the factory oil pressure gauge reads off the top of the reservoir.

This might sound odd being your problem sounds like it's oil related. Have you tried a different IDM?

Latest posts

Members online