Re build question (head specific)

OSCS

Reaction score
I'm trying to check the flatness of my heads here at work (we have a granite machinists table) I was planning to lay the head flat on the table and work a feeler gauge around the perimeter to check for warp. My question is this is a .0015 gauge thin enough to catch a potentially problematic "warp?" at what point do heads fail once warped? Is there a tolerance at all?

If this is a bad idea or .0015 is to large of gauge speak up as I can jut send these to the builder to check. I just want to do as much as I can before sending it off

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I'm not a machinist by any means but i'm fairly certain that isn't gonna work. You need a straight edge and I'm pretty sure you check it width wise not longitudinally. And I believe this is Ford's spec.

0.025 mm (0.001 in) in 2 inches or 0.10 mm (0.004 in) overall

OSCS

Reaction score
Yeah my gauge wouldn't work.. Oh well felt kind of sketchy anyways. On a side note if I decided to build this motor myself, which rebuild kit would I go with and where is the best place to find it?

Last edited:

njjeep

Reaction score
I have heard the Ford Motorcaft parts are the best. I would call Marty cause he rebuilds quite a few 7.3's for his customers.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.