Re-using head studs, which ones can be?

Big Bore

Reaction score
If a guy wants to use studs on an existing motor and is building another motor and wants to reuse the studs in the new motor, is there a stud that is better for, and/or is there a stud that is not recommended, doing this with?

Arisley

Reaction score
Not only that, but after the first use, H11's have no need for a hot retorque. My studs had been used on one motor. Installed them on mine, I retorqued all of the ones outside the valve covers. Not one of them moved even a little bit. Did not bother pulling the valve covers to check the ones under there.

V-Ref

Reaction score
So are ARPs

If yield strength hasn't been exceeded, I agree.

Not only that, but after the first use, H11's have no need for a hot retorque. My studs had been used on one motor. Installed them on mine, I retorqued all of the ones outside the valve covers. Not one of them moved even a little bit. Did not bother pulling the valve covers to check the ones under there.

What does the brand/stud material composition have to do with ensuring an even clamping force being applied to the entire head gasket surface after several heat cycles?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I know of guys re-using both. ARPs are not a one time use. Like V-ref said as long as their yeild strength hasnt been exceeded. For BOTH brands of studs.

I was under the impression that the H-11s where the ones that required the hot re-torque not ARPs

Yes both should be checked, but H11s are required are they not ?

Big Bore

Reaction score
If yield strength hasn't been exceeded, I agree.

What does the brand/stud material composition have to do with ensuring an even clamping force being applied to the entire head gasket surface after several heat cycles?

Has anyone ever measured ARP's before and after being torqued? Since torquing basically reproduces tensile strength tests. Also does anyone know the yield strength numbers for ARP's?

Latest posts

Members online