Rear end bounce

Lassie

Reaction score
I recently put new Nittos on my truck and immediately the truck developed a "hop" or "bounce" in the rear. I had the tires balanced again, and it did not help. It is strongest at 40 - 45 mph cruising. The bouncing is bad enough to empty a drink in the cup holder. The rear is hopping literally three inches up and down. If I get into it pretty good, the bouncing stops.

Is this the rear wearing out? Is this typical of Nittos?

bkingsoda

Reaction score
My old Terra grapplers didn't do that, but now that I have about 3000 on my new trail grapplers I've developed a slight hop every now and then. I think its my shocks if that helps. I replaced my front two and still need the rears. Hopefully that solves it.

bkingsoda

Reaction score
Let me know how much the shocks help. That just seems the most likely culprit.

Aaron S

Reaction score
I have a very similar issue with a two toyo at2s. I had them road force balanced and two came in at 100 and 105 lbs of force and the other two came in around 39 lbs of force. The shop that did the balance and the place that I bought the tires from confirm the two 100 lb tires are an issue and would be warrantable if I hadn't worn the tires down beyond the first 2/32.

Aaron S

Reaction score
Ive also tried to lower air pressure to soften the ride, but the tires cause the truck to shake more at lower pressures.

Lassie

Reaction score
That's what I really feel is going on here. This didn't start until these tires were on, and it started like a switch. These are also my first Nitto TGs, so I figured could be them. I've always ran BFGs and I'm starting to regret this decision. That's also why I am going to change shocks, just to take that "out" away from them.

Can you give some more detail on how you got these tested for warranty? I can't stand to drive like this. Not familiar with road force balancing?

Last edited:

Aaron S

Reaction score
If you bought the tires online and had them shipped, call them and see what they say. If not go back to the store you bought them from or look on nittos site and see if they have a customer help line to call.

I bought my tires online and they seemed the most helpful, even though I didn't get warranty. For the road force balance. The manufacturers site has a list of locations they have sold the balancers to.

I think the road force balancer pushes the tire against a roller or two to help determine how round the tire actually is as well as balancing it based on uneven weight of the tire.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online