Red Head Steering Gear.. My Thoughts

mclarengts

Reaction score
I just picked up my truck from the shop..

WOW is all I can say! just wow! What a difference! Its incredible to me how tight my steering wheel is. Ive had this truck for 3years, and I just thought that all that play in the wheel was normal. Well I was way wrong! My steering is nice and tight and responsive I love it! If you have a sloppy steering wheel this is the MOD for you!

Reaction score
Where did you buy your red head steering box from? Did you change the powersteering pump also?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep the red head box rocks for sure ! Best upgrade Ive done to my truck in a long time.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Ive put a few factory remans on and are amazing as well. I never noticed how bad my wifes ex was till I got my 08 truck and then I had to replace hers i just couldnt drive it anymore. But its a for sure mod to look into if you have 200k plus miles on your truck.

INFRNL

Reaction score
I have the red head gearbox, bought it direct and had the same impression/results as the op. well worth it imo

Arisley

Reaction score
My truck has 330K miles on it. Original gear box, original PS pump. At a stand still, with my foot on the brake, I can turn my wheels lock to lock with two fingers stuck in the steering wheel.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
yes, ive done 4 personally and my cousin that showed it to me has done a ton of them... loosen the nut, turn the screw clockwise 1/8 turn at a time, go drive come back. repeat.. you will know if you go to tight... when the tires are pointing straight, it will feel like a break over when turning... never go counter clockwise unless you go to tight, but even then make sure you don't back it off any more than you tightened it... gear can fall off...

Last edited:

Homesteader

Reaction score
My truck has 330K miles on it. Original gear box, original PS pump. At a stand still, with my foot on the brake, I can turn my wheels lock to lock with two fingers stuck in the steering wheel.

Why does yours do that ? At a stand still I can't turn my wheels at times.

PSDEng

Reaction score
yes, ive done 4 personally and my cousin that showed it to me has done a ton of them... loosen the nut, turn the screw clockwise 1/8 turn at a time, go drive come back. repeat.. you will know if you go to tight... when the tires are pointing straight, it will feel like a break over when turning... never go counter clockwise unless you go to tight, but even then make sure you don't back it off any more than you tightened it... gear can fall off...

This is just a band-aid imo. If you're having issues where you need to tighten the box, eventually you're gonna need a new one.

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I tightened mine when I bought the truck. I had to turned the screw over 3 full turns, most Ive ever had to do on a box before too and it helped take the slop out but it needed a bit more but I was unwilling to turn it more than that. The reason I wouldnt go more than that is Ive always used to adjustment to tighten up a used vehicle when I got it but I have had boxes fail from doing it too. Right scary turning onto a wooden bridge in a car I had adjusted and it letting go inside the steering box and having no steering at all. Ive been very cautious since that experience.

While adjusting it did tighten things up it didnt help with general vagueness in the steering. Also after a few years it began to bind up worse and worse till finally it wouldnt recenter at all after turning the wheel. Basically wherever I turned it is where it stayed.

The red head box took out all the play, centers perfect and turns with ease sitting still. One thing to remember after putting the new box on is to bleed it by turning the wheels back and forth. Book calls for 60 times back and forth which I didnt do since I didnt have the front wheels off the ground and it wasnt a happy camper turning wise when I first put the box on and it needing bleeding. But after driving for a few days it smooth out and has been great ever since.

cowboy420smoker

Reaction score
I put a red head box on my truck yesterday. I love it compared to the Napa specials i have been going through. They said one year warranty.Happy customer so far.

INFRNL

Reaction score
did you all try to tighten up the gear set screw before trying a new gear box?

I had a bunch of play in my wheel making it hard to drive straight down the rd.

I tried to adjust mine. I could get some of the play out but it got to the point where my steering wheel would not return very easily when making turns. I probably still had a good inch or so of play at this point, so I decided to get the new gear box.

It was definitely pricey, but eliminated my issues.

Latest posts

Members online