Regen Triggers

6.7Bison

Reaction score
REcently started paying attention to the regens through my monitor app and they aren't what i thought they should be. I used to regen once every 500 miles or so according to the message flashing up on the dash. Did some upgrades and was monitoring other things when I noticed I would regen closer to once every 250 miles. Watched my *** percentage sometimes it would regen starting at 100% other times it would be as low as 60%.

Any one know all the situations that can cause a regen? I drop from 18 mpg to 17 mpg watching my lie-o-meter which is about +/-.5 mpg hand calculated.

6.7Bison

Reaction score
I replaced my turbo (still a SST but with the later bearings), added a wicked wheel, added BD manifolds, added exergy metering valve, and a sinister turbo coolant line.

6.7Bison

Reaction score
That could be. Timeline would roughly coincide. I can continue to monitor for a while here. Still curious what the programming is looking for to initiate a regen.

PDT1081

Reaction score
That could be. Timeline would roughly coincide. I can continue to monitor for a while here. Still curious what the programming is looking for to initiate a regen.

With stock tires and 3.31 gears, my 13 was doing a regen every 150 miles in the summer. Winter time was usually every 500 miles. Put on slightly larger tires and it dropped to every 100-150 miles no matter what. Didn't make much sense. It would never go over 500 miles without, even if Soot% was showing only 50%.

6.7Bison

Reaction score
Quick PSA on this. Determined there was a boost leak combined with just bad timing of regens occurring while the wife was driving without a monitor to know when a regen might start or finish. Had it happen to me again here recently with not being able to watch my monitor due to the insurances speed tracker in an attempt to save money. (Debatable if it did.) Tightened up the charge pipe clamps, cleaned out the MAF, MAP, and CAC temp sensor, got it nice and warm pulling the horse trailer and I seem back to my normal 500 mile regen frequency. Am working on getting Forscan set up to monitor my DPF % without needing an external monitor.

TL;DR
Finish your regens completely, keep your charge pipe clamps tight, keep your sensors clean. Your truck will be happier.

Dieseldreamer23

Reaction score
Makes sense. A boost leak would certainly create sub optimal operating conditions and more internal pollution. You should check out the LHG that FICMRepair/USA diesel is offering for the 6.7L. Regens are just the result of particulate buildup and when the truck is cold started, warming up, and/or sitting there idling it's running fairly dirty. Not enough heat. The LHG gets the rig up to op temp fast, monitors things and keeps it there. It's like the opposite of a thermostat. i.e. the thermostat helps makes sure the motor doesn't run hot. The LHG helps make sure the motor isn't running cold. In the modern era day of DPM/DPF/REGEN, it's an important consideration. It's likely more OEMs will start using the tech, they just haven't yet.

6.7Bison

Reaction score
You should check out the LHG that FICMRepair/USA diesel is offering for the 6.7L. Regens are just the result of particulate buildup and when the truck is cold started, warming up, and/or sitting there idling it's running fairly dirty. Not enough heat. The LHG gets the rig up to op temp fast, monitors things and keeps it there. It's like the opposite of a thermostat. i.e. the thermostat helps makes sure the motor doesn't run hot. The LHG helps make sure the motor isn't running cold. In the modern era day of DPM/DPF/REGEN, it's an important consideration. It's likely more OEMs will start using the tech, they just haven't yet.
Sounds like a bigger engine mounted block heater. Also doesn't fit my year truck. Solid idea in aiding truck in getting up to temp. For the cost, I would rather wait and see if my DPF is having issues and replace it. To each their own.

Side note is also pick the right oil. Finding out Schaeffer's 9000 synthetic 5w-40 may also be part of increased regens with my truck. Switching back to T6.

Latest posts

Members online