reliability

yzmatt

Reaction score
Ok so do mods hurt the reliability of 7.3's

I don't mean nitrous on hybrids with stock turbo. I have stage one's and 60 hp tune on pcm from dp. Intake, exhaust, etc. People have trucks with 500,000 miles staying stock items, so will stage one's and 60 econo tune yield same result as stock in all the same scenarios? I figure the trucks are over built and small mods to improve efficiency should only help.

And if smart mods improve life then whats the max before reversing the theories? I do think tuners are an important factor in the equation, probably the most.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I have personally seen trucks push 400HP+ for over 150,000 miles. I am sure there are much higher numbers than that though.

With stage 1's you should not be too worried when it comes to reliability. There are thousands of guys who have ran your exact setup for years without issue.

There is no magic HP number when it comes to breaking reliability. However, most can push around 450-500HP(dependent on rods) before running into issues on a stock motor.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Tuning plays a huge roll in longevity.

I ran 238/100's for 30k and broke the block up the #2 and #4 mains...

I ran 250/200's for 80k on a motor that had about 200k on it before cracking a piston...

Two different tuners...

AC's or Stage 1 injectors are a great combo with a stockish truck. Even the worst of tuners should not be able to **** that up.

psduser1

Reaction score
Tuners aside, I would say how you use the truck is more of a determining factor. There is guys with 500+ making their rigs last, and there are stock setups failing. Start it up, foot to the floor, it'll fail sooner. Higher power levels just magnify any weak spots in your machine.

yzmatt

Reaction score
Great answers, getting hotter tunes for it other then 60econo shouldn't be an issue? I let my truck warm up before I drive it. I never go above 1,500 RPMs until oil temps are at 100 degrees (seems to be the magic number as far as how they sound). Change oil regularly and user a stratapore filter. Any other things to do to keep it together? And I watch temps and run it high RPMs when towering. Forged Rods, not that I would push it past what pmrs would do

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Its damn near impossable to break a motor with a set of stage 1's... Your fine.

yzmatt

Reaction score
ok so if I have another question that stems from this post do I start another tread or keep going on this one?
I'll ask now then let me know please

So Stage ones ok, what about 38r turbo? Or even just a ww2. Building boost adds to cylinder pressure and is 40 psi to much? Pushing limits? Or is posing more fuel a bigger issue, like larger injectors, instead of more air, easier to compress? I think more tunes are in my future but would like a bigger turbo. Just curious of cylinder pressure affects.

big_stroker

Reaction score
I've been running my setup over 500hp for 70k+ now. The biggest thing is to put together a combination of parts and tuning that are going to work well together.

yzmatt

Reaction score
I've been running my setup over 500hp for 70k+ now. The biggest thing is to put together a combination of parts and tuning that are going to work well together.

Your build, block, were pretty fresh when that power was built, correct? Mine ifs no spring chicken.

You are the one who has got me thinking I could do more.

big_stroker

Reaction score
Your build, block, were pretty fresh when that power was built, correct? Mine ifs no spring chicken.

You are the one who has got me thinking I could do more.

Yes it was a fresh block when I built it to this power... But if done right unless you have issues now it shouldn't effect anything. But then again anything can happen. Just have to use your head and remember it probably wont break but it can.

Arisley

Reaction score
I have been running mine for about 80K miles now.

250\200 injectors, H2E, Adrenaline HPOP, Regulated return fuel, Tony Wildman tunes, Studs, and springs. Oh Yeah, almost forgot 2001 cupholder. No issues with anything except the cupholder.

I had 250K miles on the motor when I did the mods to it. Motor had 195K when I did the cupholder.

big_stroker

Reaction score

250\200 injectors, H2E, Adrenaline HPOP, Regulated return fuel, Tony Wildman tunes, Studs, and springs. Oh Yeah, almost forgot 2001 cupholder. No issues with anything except the cupholder.

I had 250K miles on the motor when I did the mods to it. Motor had 195K when I did the cupholder.

I also did the 2001 cupholder.... best mod I have EVER done!

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
ok so if I have another question that stems from this post do I start another tread or keep going on this one?
I'll ask now then let me know please

So Stage ones ok, what about 38r turbo? Or even just a ww2. Building boost adds to cylinder pressure and is 40 psi to much? Pushing limits? Or is posing more fuel a bigger issue, like larger injectors, instead of more air, easier to compress? I think more tunes are in my future but would like a bigger turbo. Just curious of cylinder pressure affects.

Throwing a 38R on there would be a benefit and would not hurt anything at all. Stage 1's and a 38R are one of the most popular combinations used.

Reaction score
I've been modifying mine for 130k miles. Did the first set of aftermarket injectors, which were stage 1's at 250k miles. I now have just over 380k. I try not to run mine very hard until it gets all the way up to 180*.... Until then I just take it easy running down the road.. I usually let it warm up for 5-10 minutes before I take off.

yzmatt

Reaction score

Thats good to hear. I'm about the same place.

Latest posts

Members online