Removing the plug in valley

2000wa250

Reaction score
Im getting ready to install my new t4 style turbo....how have people removed the plug in the valley for the oil return from the turbo?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
that's a method I've never heard of!

I always took a narrow screwdriver at the outer most edge and tapped a hammer on it just enough to start pushing one side down.. stop just before you think its going to fall in (LOL) and rip on the exposed lip with a pair of needlenose pliers and it should come right out

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
This was the biggest pain in the ass for me. Luckily I had mine on a stand. I tried junkies way, but being a new motor(never ran) I guess the locktite hadnt set in. I gave her two taps and it dropped into the motor..

However all I did was bend a coat hanger to look like a fish hook and stick it through the dipstick fitting, loosen off the big nut and drop the fitting into the pan. The plug was sitting right on the windage tray. Pulled the fitting back into place tightened the shiat out of it and fished the hanger back through.

So there is hope if you do drop it in. However I would go with HRTs way. The minuscule amount of shaving from that will end up in the filter. If your really worried drain the oil.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
I lost mine into the pan. Stuck a speaker magnet on the pan and when i pulled the motor this fall it was stuck to the pan right at the magnet lol.

bigjake0524

Reaction score
I always put a screw in them, just so that they wont drop through. They will end up down in the pan though.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Not to sound critical brother, but that sounds like it could introduce metal into engine.

Nope. A wood screw just displaces the metal, nothing gets cut like a sheet metal screw would. Go ahead try it on an old plug in a vice or something - it works like a charm.

2000wa250

Reaction score
so the consensus is to use a wood screw into the plug, attach something to that screw in order to keep it from falling down, and use the screw driver or chisel to help break it loose. Good thing i have some screws left from building a fence last summer! :)

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
I didn think about it till it was too late but you could stick a good extendable typeagnet to it and push it in then grab it and pull it back out.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
so the consensus is to use a wood screw into the plug, attach something to that screw in order to keep it from falling down, and use the screw driver or chisel to help break it loose. Good thing i have some screws left from building a fence last summer! :)

I use like a 3" wood screw and only thread it in half way - then just pull on the screw using a pair of vice grips.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Nope. A wood screw just displaces the metal, nothing gets cut like a sheet metal screw would. Go ahead try it on an old plug in a vice or something - it works like a charm.

I've run a lot of sheet rock/wood screws through all kinds of sheet metal so I understand what you are saying, however the original burn through is still boring with the sharp tip, even though it's a pretty minute surface area. Maybe I'm being too picky.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've run a lot of sheet rock/wood screws through all kinds of sheet metal so I understand what you are saying, however the original burn through is still boring with the sharp tip, even though it's a pretty minute surface area. Maybe I'm being too picky.

Your being way too picky.

Run the screw in, attach a pair of vice grips to the screw, hit one side of the plug with a screw driver and pull out.

Marty

Reaction score
If it goes through its a royal pita to get out. I put a magnet on one and tapped the edge. The fuggin thing fell right in. The magnet fell out of the telescope magnet! It was sitting on the cam and I was able to fish it back up but ended up just pulling the pan anyway as it was on a stand.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
If it goes through its a royal pita to get out. I put a magnet on one and tapped the edge. The fuggin thing fell right in. The magnet fell out of the telescope magnet! It was sitting on the cam and I was able to fish it back up but ended up just pulling the pan anyway as it was on a stand.

Read my earlier post buds.

I did almost the exact same thing, took me longer to rig up something to hold the fitting then it did to get it out.

No splitting the pan

Latest posts

Members online