S364.5 on 7.3

rusty1161

Reaction score
What are you currently running? And James is one smart fella. So is swaan on here. Both of them were right on the turbo size.

I have a billet S366/.91 exhaust housing. I feel like I am under the turbo most of the time.

These threads have great info. Thank you for sharing!

Rusty

Swaan

Reaction score
Rusty .
I had same turbo and felt same way.
The 63 sxe barder was talking about will make a huge diffrence.
If your not planning on going bigger then 160/30 the 62 sxe with the 68 turbine with a 1.00 housing would work too. Be super responsive smoke free tow machine. Is your truck auto or manual transmission?

rusty1161

Reaction score
Rusty .
I had same turbo and felt same way.
The 63 sxe barder was talking about will make a huge diffrence.
If your not planning on going bigger then 160/30 the 62 sxe with the 68 turbine with a 1.00 housing would work too. Be super responsive smoke free tow machine. Is your truck auto or manual transmission?

It's an auto. That S362 and 68mm turbine sound tempting.

Thanks!

Rusty

Swaan

Reaction score
Well if your trucks an auto the 63 would work very well.
If your truck was a zf5 I would lean you towards the 62 .

But either one would be awesome , the 63 would have better top end thou. The 62 would lite instantly with a little sacrifice on top .

If your just into towing and not looking for every last drop of top end hp I'd go the 62

Also , do you know if you have 4.10 or 3.55

If you got 3.55 deffinattly go 62
63 if 4:10

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
Also it would be cheaper and easier install if you went the 63.
It would install into your current .91 housing on your truck.
You wouldn't even have to unbolt the housing from the t4 Flange or downpipe. Just get a 63 sxe supercore , there about $750 give or take $50 .

Swaan

Reaction score
There perty nice turbos Billy.
I just can wait till the full line of s400sxe come out.
Or at least some more wheel options for them.
I got a few class 8 trucks these would be right at home on.

rusty1161

Reaction score
Well if your trucks an auto the 63 would work very well.
If your truck was a zf5 I would lean you towards the 62 .

But either one would be awesome , the 63 would have better top end thou. The 62 would lite instantly with a little sacrifice on top .

If your just into towing and not looking for every last drop of top end hp I'd go the 62

Also , do you know if you have 4.10 or 3.55

If you got 3.55 deffinattly go 62
63 if 4:10

To muddy the waters a bit more, I have 3.73's due to the 10.5" rear swap with modded hubs.

I am leaning toward the 363 out of concern for high EGT's towing up some of the grades we have heading up into the Sierra's. The bonus is buying a supercore 363 and reusing my .91 exhaust housing like you mentioned. James had the same thought.

Thanks, again.

Rusty

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Also it would be cheaper and easier install if you went the 63.
It would install into your current .91 housing on your truck.
You wouldn't even have to unbolt the housing from the t4 Flange or downpipe. Just get a 63 sxe supercore , there about $750 give or take $50 .

Swaan,

Why did you go with the 1.0 AR? and not the .91 being a manual?

I may have missed it, what turbine wheel do you have?

Im looking to go with the 64.5/73 like cjfarm did.

Swaan

Reaction score
I had my 64.5 built before the new sxe line came out.
I had it built with the 68 turbine because I knew the old style 74mm turbine was laggy.
That's why I went with the 1.00 housing .
The new sxe has an updated 74mm turbine that is more responsive then the old one ,so you can get away with a .91 on those with out back pressure issues to a point.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
I had my 64.5 built before the new sxe line came out.
I had it built with the 68 turbine because I knew the old style 74mm turbine was laggy.
That's why I went with the 1.00 housing .
The new sxe has an updated 74mm turbine that is more responsive then the old one ,so you can get away with a .91 on those with out back pressure issues to a point.

Cool, thanks for the info.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Just an update fellas. Have towed a fair share with the sxe turbo and it is amazing. Coolest egts I have ever had and spools very fast with hardly any smoke. Just a puff if you rug it with a load on it. Couldn't be happier.

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it straightened out, I know when I finally got my combo right you couldn't slap the grin off my face

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

cjfarm111

Reaction score
After this experience I think there is a lot of potential or should I say drivability when the turbo combination is efficient.

Swaan

Reaction score
Just an update fellas. Have towed a fair share with the sxe turbo and it is amazing. Coolest egts I have ever had and spools very fast with hardly any smoke. Just a puff if you rug it with a load on it. Couldn't be happier.

Geez and who woulda thought you could get a turbo to perform so well and not have been built by bell .

Glad you got it running like it should. Congrats! !

ja_cain

Reaction score
I wonder how this turbo would do in place of Charles 38r with the un-gated larger exhaust housing? This turbo should have better airflow capabilities, just not sure on the drive pressure from the different turbine/housing configuration.

Latest posts

Members online