S364.5 on 7.3

ja_cain

Reaction score
Would be interesting for know for sure. He is running 250/200's right?

I think his are 300/200's. The nozzle size is the most important part though unless pw (at high icp) is real high, then capacity comes into play.

ja_cain

Reaction score
He would have to step up to the 69
I think with his current tuning, he should be OK with that charger. Now if he increased the pw outside of his narrow window, then the larger charger would be requied. Also, he would be operating outside of the efficiency sweet spot of the injectors at that point. I think he said 350 to 400 horse for 200% nozzles. I know they can make more, but it would be st the cost of efficiency.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
He is only running those injectors as is because its got a stock trans and stock pmr motor.

A 200% nozzle is efficient to 500hp...

ja_cain

Reaction score
He is only running those injectors as is because its got a stock trans and stock pmr motor.

A 200% nozzle is efficient to 500hp...

This is the response I received from him when I asked about efficiency. In his mind, I think it really boils down to being inside an optimal injection pw window. I would like to see what the pw is on an injector with 200% nozzles making 500 hp. Also, what is the smoke output? If it is smoking, then it is not running efficiently.

"Up to a 100% nozzle I would say your power goal should be sub 300rwhp. If you intend to make more power than that and do it often efficiency would be higher with a 200. My 550 was running the exact same set of injectors that are in my crew cab now and they had nowhere near the towing power that they do now with the 200's. The turbo came over as well, so the setup is identical on another motor with 200's vs 100's. The part that hangs people up is that just because a nozzle CAN make up to xxxx horsepower, doesn't mean it's efficient doing it. Kind of like a turbo that can be pushed until flames are blowing out the discharge.... a larger turbo would run in the same setup and do it much cooler."

TyCorr

Reaction score
A 238/80 makes 500 and up and even with a 38r its not that smoky.

A stock truck with 250/200s and an upgraded charger (obviously) will make 525-550...think h2e

His point is YOU CAN make power under the high performance capability of these injectors(whatever size wuth a 200% nozzle). And if the argument is "not very well", then you understand the point of the tuning thread for ptp tuning studies.

knuckleup83

Reaction score
Awesome to see a thread with some Borg Warner SXE's being put to use. I absolutely love these turbos. I actually distribute for Borg so I was excited when these first came out. There's a ton of mixed info being thrown around on the net about these turbos, so if there is any tech data I can provide please let me know.

For those making huge power for pulling or racing, the new S400 SXE 72mm that is about to come out is going to be absolutely killer. It outflows the older 76mm.

For those interested, the SXE line of turbos uses the wheel technology from the EFR lineup of Borg Warner turbos, hence why they spool so well and still flow great numbers.

Having just picked up another 7.3 I'm very tempted to throw an SXE on my rig.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Awesome to see a thread with some Borg Warner SXE's being put to use. I absolutely love these turbos. I actually distribute for Borg so I was excited when these first came out. There's a ton of mixed info being thrown around on the net about these turbos, so if there is any tech data I can provide please let me know.

For those making huge power for pulling or racing, the new S400 SXE 72mm that is about to come out is going to be absolutely killer. It outflows the older 76mm.

For those interested, the SXE line of turbos uses the wheel technology from the EFR lineup of Borg Warner turbos, hence why they spool so well and still flow great numbers.
Having just picked up another 7.3 I'm very tempted to throw an SXE on my rig.

How about maps for the different compressor wheel sizes? It's real hard to find them in high rez for the 364.5 Please make sure they are high resolution so we can actually read them. Thanks in advance if you can hook us up!

ja_cain

Reaction score
I would love to run Charles current AEB file, on 200% nozzled injectors and a 364.5 I bet it would be one bad azz towing machine.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'm sure I can make that happen. Might not be until I'm baxk at the shop on Monday.
Thanks man! That would be extremely helpful when trying to compare different turbos. Especially the 38r to the 364.5. Now if only Pius would provide a map for the BASB. Also, I like the fact that the sxe turbos have provisions for a speed sensor. That's nice for the engineering types that like to have as much data as possible.

knuckleup83

Reaction score
I always recommend using the speed sensor. The EFR wheels need to be monitored when you're pushing them hard. If you push them bast their limit IE: and overboost scenario, they will fail. And by fail I mean you'll shell the turbine wheel out your exhaust.

As far as others providing maps for some other turbos....Let me first preface my post as this. I AM NOT TALKING CRAP SO PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT THAT WAY.
I've been in this industry for quite a while now and you would be shocked when it comes to companies who have the tech to generate compressor maps, and those that don't. There are big name companies selling thousands upon thousands of turbos that cannot actually generate you a data driven compressor map. They can take a good educated guess at it, but an educated guess isn't data. So I guess you could say in the defense of the guy you're wanting to provide maps, he may just not have the capability to do so and is just going off the old school method of "this should flow this".

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
I always recommend using the speed sensor. The EFR wheels need to be monitored when you're pushing them hard. If you push them bast their limit IE: and overboost scenario, they will fail. And by fail I mean you'll shell the turbine wheel out your exhaust.

As far as others providing maps for some other turbos....Let me first preface my post as this. I AM NOT TALKING CRAP SO PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT THAT WAY.
I've been in this industry for quite a while now and you would be shocked when it comes to companies who have the tech to generate compressor maps, and those that don't. There are big name companies selling thousands upon thousands of turbos that cannot actually generate you a data driven compressor map. They can take a good educated guess at it, but an educated guess isn't data. So I guess you could say in the defense of the guy you're wanting to provide maps, he may just not have the capability to do so and is just going off the old school method of "this should flow this".
Good stuff! I am no stranger to the expensive nature of test stands/analytical equipment. That's one of the reasons my lab stays in business. We come up with novel ways to get usefull data because either nobody makes the equipment or the equipment is too expensive to purchase. I've built/fabricated a fair amount specialized equipment over the years.

Btw, who do you work for?

knuckleup83

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Hope this helps out.

Attachments

• image005(1).jpg
    image005(1).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 75
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 80
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 87

knuckleup83

Reaction score
I just realized those attachments for some reason are super small. Ja_cain do you want me to email you these and you can host them and post them up?

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
Ok guys, im happy to see some discussion on this. I thought i may have been crazy planning on this setup..
Now, im running 160/stock sticks now.. Planning on 238/80-100's.
Truck is a stick, driver, tows 10k.
Do i go with the 76 turbine and a 1.0 or the 80 turbine with the .91?
I also want to add a wastegate so is there a t4 kit ready to take a wastegate for an obs?
Otherwise i will make all my own..
I am really excited to ditch this d66..

Latest posts

Members online