Safe temps. while towing

tjalbee

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for a little help. To start off its a 2006 F350 King Ranch with the 6.0. All stock except for an aftermarket air intake and the 58v FICM upgrade. I have a 40' 5th wheel I recently purchased (upgrade from my 29'). The new trailer weighs 10,600 lbs. My question is what is the "safe zone" for coolant temp (Motorcraft Gold)? Without the trailer my temps are pretty comfortable (190-200 coolant and my oil has never differed by more than 10 degrees). Since purchasing the new trailer my coolant temp hit 223° on a recent trip and made me nervous. It was while leaving a stop sign to climb a decent grade in 98° weather, as soon as I got to the crest and started coming down the temps dropped right back to the 205° range. I got it home and popped the hood and saw coolant all over the fan and hood which appeared to be coming from the water pump. I changed out the pump the following week, topped off the coolant and off I went. Well I went camping again this weekend and had no coolant loss this time but still occasionally experienced 218°-222° temps in 95° weather while pulling uphill. My question is at what coolant temp should I be concerned that something is wrong? I've tried doing some research but can't really find and clear info? Thanks in advance.....

slc6oh

Reaction score
while I'm not sure exactly on what number is "safe" I would say your ok/normal there towing. naturally its gonna run hotter. Its hot outside and your working it, jus as long as everything regulates back down within reason, I wouldn't sweat it too much

tjalbee

Reaction score
The only thing that I don't like is when it gets hot enough for the fan to engage (climbing a hill ) I notice a significant decrease in power. It could just be me babying it cause I'm worried about the coolant temp climbing but it's like the engine falls flat on its face once the fan comes on

slc6oh

Reaction score
fan starts to come on at i think like 215degrees coolant temp... the fan eats up a good bit of power but it works great, i notice the second the fan kicks on everything cools right back down, even towing uphill in dry 95+ degree weather

Latest posts

Members online