Safe Towing With This Tune?

sniper_101

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'll try to sum this up as to not loose anyone.

I had my 6-pos reburned by Beans when I ordered a set of their Stage 1's, the only tunes I can run with enough power to move the truck are Daily and Hot (these both run great aside from heavy lope, but that's another issue). My main question is will the timing in the daily tune be hard on anything while towing about 8-10,000 through the hills? The Tow and Stock tune don't work. I've pulled more with this tuning, but not at 50mph+.

Also, Fuel Pulse Width, is there a "safe" limit?

I ask because I'm just starting/trying to understand the tuning side of things, it has my interest. I seen someone mention that he was upset his tune went above 4.00 FPW, and my Hot tune will hit 4.20'ish. Keep in mind I don't completely know what pos or neg affects this mean, but would be thankful if someone could enlighten me.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Edit - Nothing at all against Bean's tunes, it's been my fault for not keeping in touch for him to send me new tunes, so absolutely nothing from this is supposed to be questioning their skill. I'll get it touch with them tomorrow if possible to see if I can resolve the non-working tunes before I have to do this tow.

Last edited:

sniper_101

Reaction score
How does it not have enough power to move the truck?

Makes no boost/no fueling. ICP will act the same (peak 2850-3000), but will only make 3-4lbs in Stock, pretty much the same in Economy, and about 8lbs max in Heavy Tow. Stock idles great, but any load put on (letting the clutch out) it'll die pretty easy, same with the other Econo/Heavy Tow tunes, but not quite as easy. Lope in Econo, Tow, Daily and pretty heavy lope in Hot. I have been driving it just fine in Daily, just with lope when returning to idle and a touchy throttle. Hot is even more touchy and lopes harder and longer when returning to idle.

In case it matters.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a reburn. I wouldn't even mess with trying to figure out if they are "safe" or not, something is not right. Probably just a technical error that can be easily fixed.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'll try to sum this up as to not loose anyone.

I had my 6-pos reburned by Beans when I ordered a set of their Stage 1's, the only tunes I can run with enough power to move the truck are Daily and Hot (these both run great aside from heavy lope, but that's another issue). My main question is will the timing in the daily tune be hard on anything while towing about 8-10,000 through the hills? The Tow and Stock tune don't work. I've pulled more with this tuning, but not at 50mph+.

Also, Fuel Pulse Width, is there a "safe" limit?

I ask because I'm just starting/trying to understand the tuning side of things, it has my interest. I seen someone mention that he was upset his tune went above 4.00 FPW, and my Hot tune will hit 4.20'ish. Keep in mind I don't completely know what pos or neg affects this mean, but would be thankful if someone could enlighten me.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Edit - Nothing at all against Bean's tunes, it's been my fault for not keeping in touch for him to send me new tunes, so absolutely nothing from this is supposed to be questioning their skill. I'll get it touch with them tomorrow if possible to see if I can resolve the non-working tunes before I have to do this tow.
First, what mods are on your truck?

Second, if other tunes are not making any power, have you looked for other issues with the truck that would cause these problems?

sniper_101

Reaction score
First, what mods are on your truck?

Second, if other tunes are not making any power, have you looked for other issues with the truck that would cause these problems?

Chipped worked fine with stock sticks and PHP tunes on it.

160cc single shots/stock nozzles, 6637, exhaust and wicked wheel. Nothing else that I can think of that should matter.

To be honest, I'm more curious about the FPW and what should be a concerning level, or if it is different with different engines/set ups? I'm sure the tunes that don't work are just a bad burn or maybe it was burned for a different setup by accident, not sure.

I'll call Jonathan later today and go over this with him as well, he was very willing to help resolve this last time we spoke.

Bean

Reaction score
NOt sure whats up with the chip but you do have gauges right? Tow whatever you want in any tune just watch the temps. Majority of the time you can tow just fine with the Hot tune and it never even get close to 1300 degrees.

Jonathan may be out sick today, shoot him and email and he will get back with ya.

sniper_101

Reaction score
Did you clean the chip before you installed it? is it lose?

It was cleaned when I installed it for the first time a year+ ago, but did wipe the contacts clean before last install (tried reinstalling chip a couple times to rule connection issue out). Chip is tightly secured.

NOt sure whats up with the chip but you do have gauges right? Tow whatever you want in any tune just watch the temps. Majority of the time you can tow just fine with the Hot tune and it never even get close to 1300 degrees.

Jonathan may be out sick today, shoot him and email and he will get back with ya.

Have gauges and a Scangauge II that I bought to help diagnose the issue. EGT in the Hot Tune has never been over 1200* (love it), but I rarely bag the truck.

I sent a PM to BDP Tuner on this site last night, assuming that was him. If no reply for a couple days I can just email or call, no rush.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online