Sct broken disassembled and fixed

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
We will start at the begining... a few years ago when I got my 06 I had a sct from my previous truck. After updating the firmware and loading some tunes I some how corrupted the tuner which caused me to totally loose my stock file. Sct was nice and emailed me a stock tune to use. So since that time setting my truck to stock now yeilds a no start condition where the truck makes no attempt to start. When you cycle the key everything goes dead. Since the truck would have to be flashed for it to start ive used this to my advantage as a theft deterrent. Fast forward a few years and im at a hotel in austin tx worried about theft so I set the truck to stock via sct as I do. The next day when I went to leave I plugged in the sct and attempted to set the truck back to my race tune. When after a few seconds I see smoke comming out of the tuner. I quickly unpluggged the tuner. Left in a bad predicament I began to disassemble the tuner and found the wire that had shorted. Seperated the wire and was able to retune the truck. Tonight I decided to tear into the tuner and fix it as best as I could to avoid being with out a tuner or having to buy another one

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Here is the tuner disassembled. The cut wires go to the obd2 cable and was where the short was. The center wire which was green has melted all of its insulation and even melted the connector. Not knowing where id find that connector I decided to try to fix it
mede5u9e.jpg
3ydujy2y.jpg
uhe4y7eh.jpg

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
While pulling the thing apart my sharp knife slipped and sliced the ribbon cable so now another issue
yza7y4a2.jpg

Out came the essential tools
aje9u2a7.jpg

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I ended up soldering the wires directly to the pins. I then attempted to solder the cable. After having zero luck with that I ended up shortening the cable and cleaning the protective coating from the ribbon and making it work. Threw it all back together and it still works.

turboTwang6

Reaction score
Nice writeup. I had a buddy with one about a year ago that had somehow broke loose the Mini-USB connector used for loading codes (I believe an older SCT than you have here). Took it apart, soldered it back on, and it was good to go.

Giterdone

Reaction score
Nice writeup and repair. Too bad it wasn't that easy to reset or unmarry an SCT tuner if something haywire goes wrong. Such as an unfortunate event happens where it's impossible to set your vehicle back to stock which is the only way to unmarry one of these things so it can be used on your replacement truck. No help from SCT by the way unless I send it in for a cost of $150 plus shipping.:wtf:

SCT :biggun:

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
My stock file is corrupted so i know what you mean. One of my 3 files is a stock strategy tune. If i ever put mine in the shop ill return to stock and let them reflash it to get that part straightened out but in 4 years or more it hasnt had to happen.

LCR

Reaction score
The pictures don't show up so I signed up just to ask if they are still floating around on the internet after all this time. I unplugged the ribbon that connected the OBD2 cable to the board and didn't realize there was like 8 different ways it could connect. and don't have a picture of it. I had to replace the screen which was a massive hassle in and of it self.
Here is the tuner disassembled. The cut wires go to the obd2 cable and was where the short was. The center wire which was green has melted all of its insulation and even melted the connector. Not knowing where id find that connector I decided to try to fix it
mede5u9e.jpg
3ydujy2y.jpg
uhe4y7eh.jpg

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
The pictures don't show up so I signed up just to ask if they are still floating around on the internet after all this time. I unplugged the ribbon that connected the OBD2 cable to the board and didn't realize there was like 8 different ways it could connect. and don't have a picture of it. I had to replace the screen which was a massive hassle in and of it self.
I dont think i have any of those pictures from then. I cant remember if i used psa to host them either.

Latest posts

Members online