Severe lag at takeoff with 6.0L

F350Power

Reaction score
I have a 2007 F-350 6.0L that is driving me crazy. There is a severe lag at takeoff. If I do not power brake it at a stop sign, I cannot cross a highway without getting smashed. I have tried about everything I know. Cleaned and rebuilt stock turbo and replaced accuator wheel. Still very dangerous. Anyone know if replacing turbo with a Powermax would help this. Any other suggestions? Egr Delete, ARP Studs, Oil Cooler, Blue Fuel Spring, Coolant Filter, Banks Intake and Exhaust, Ford OEM Head Gaskets, Fuel Filters, SCT Tuner with IDP Performance Tune.

Snake

Reaction score
All turbo diesels will have a fair amount of lag if you just mash the pedal from a standstill. It's hard to say if what you're experiencing is normal, or if you have a problem (not there to drive your truck)

Ease into the throttle and give the turbo a second or two to spool. And if you have to do boosted launches to cross traffic it sounds like you're driving too aggressively.

On a serious note, is this your first diesel? The transition from a gasser to a diesel means a corresponding change in driving style and how to get the most out of your truck.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Sounds pretty typical to any turbo motor. When you floor it from a stand still you flood the motor with fuel and it dosent have the air to mix and make power because the turbo is not pushing air yet. After a short period of time though the turbo catches up and your on your way.... You can get around this with a change to your driving style or by adding new parts to it. A sct tune would make a big difference

bboteler

Reaction score
He says he's already running an IDP tune...have you checked your fuel pressure I'd suggest a gauge you may be starving you injector or worse already fried them.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
does it whistle at idle? when you unplug the vgt soleinoid does the turbo cut off to your ears? cleaned ebp tube? checked ebp sensor/wires?

Jason

Reaction score
Contrary to "normal" thought, these trucks are actually faster when rolled intothe throttle quickly and smoothly. Hammering them from a deadstop does nothing, and kind of like a candle being blown on, snuffsthe turbo a bit. Blow on a candle..not enough to put it out, but give it a quick whiff of air..it'll die out and then flame back up..now blow omit smoothly andharder..it'll stay lit and keep flaming...same idea.

My denali with the 6.0 gas motor will sink you into the seat instantly when matted from a dead stop. My truck will bog and then blow the tires off once moving. If I lay into the throttle quick and smooth it's acceleration/putsyou into the seat/tire spin.

bboteler

Reaction score
Not to debate the issue of tuning as I have run both IDP and gearhead, and I'm looking into one or two others to find my trucks "fit" but maybe consider a tuned ficm. I drove a truck yesterday with one and the lag was noticeably less. IMHO if your gonna upgrade turbos I'd go non-vgt vs powermax.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Not to debate the issue of tuning as I have run both IDP and gearhead, and I'm looking into one or two others to find my trucks "fit" but maybe consider a tuned ficm. I drove a truck yesterday with one and the lag was noticeably less. IMHO if your gonna upgrade turbos I'd go non-vgt vs powermax.

dont confuse your issue with throwing uneeded performance parts at your truck. fix your issue first then play.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
The spartan hybrid race sct file has the best throttle response of any tune I've had. It is snappy off idle but even with that tune to much pedal will lag the truck. From the sounds of it (none of us are in the truck) you may be using too much throttle too fast. My truck can seem really laggy if I'm to agressive with the pedal.

Trapn 6.0

Reaction score
Ive had a cracked map line cause similar issues. And maybe your ebp sensor is out. You need a scan tool on it to check some things out. When you did your egr delete did the nipple where your map line goes on get the soot cleaned out of it?

Last edited:

bboteler

Reaction score
My intention was not to "throw" parts at a problem more of a suggestion on what may eliminate what op sees as lag. As stated in this post previously all diesels have lag and driver operation can cause or reduce it. I was merely trying to help and stating my personal opinion just like everyone else on here because none of us are in the truck in question.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
OP, how many seconds of lag are you experiencing? I went out this afternoon and did a little "test" in my truck. After I got up to operating temps I came to a complete stop and using my right foot only, lifted from the brake and hammered the go peddle. I had about 1.5 seconds of absolute go nowhere before the turbo hit, after that the rear end broke loose in a cloud of smoke with a beautiful duet of screaming tires and 4" straight pipe growl. Now lifting and rolling into the throttle eliminated the turbo lag and got me moving much quicker due to the lack of tire spin.

I will say that after talking to a lot of guys with tuned FICM's, I will be paying PHP a visit soon to get a tune on mine. It seems that the tuned FICM's only add about 35-40 rwhp, but EVERYONE I've talked to that has a tuned FICM has said that throttle response is much quicker an smoother.

sickslow

Reaction score
Everyone is saying clean the ebp sensor but i think i have read that the recent strategies no longer use the ebo sensor for angthing so it doesnt matter if its clogged/dirty or not.
I dont know this for a fact though. If this is not true i definately want to clean mine as well because my truck is pretty laggy as well. Where exactly is the sensor?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online