Short block rebuild

loboost

Reaction score
I ended up with a 6.0 short block assembly in garage clean out a while back.

Guy I got it from gave me a little background... it came from a truck that had normal head gasket issues...the truck owner had an aftermarket extended warranty and somehow finagled a complete engine out of the deal...block & rotating assembly is supposed to be fine.

It is still assembled at this point. I'm interested in rebuilding it for piece of mind & maybe finding a truck with a bent rod & swap em out.

What is standard when rebuilding a 6.0 bottom end? Obviously a ring & seal kit & bearings.

Vs a used engine, what is replaced or refurbished in a reman short block from ford?

Is it recommended to bore & use oversized pistons? Maybe .020"? I wouldn't really be after a big HP setup...just basic reliability. At this point I'm open for any input. Thanks in advanced

Last edited:

04stroker

Reaction score
I would replace pistons and obviously rings because they can be had pretty cheap. I would not bore it unless you had too. Maybe just a home but measure your cylinders up and down make sure there is no taper or out of round. If you do need to bore go as little as possible. I'd do .010 if you can get away with it.

loboost

Reaction score
I would replace pistons and obviously rings because they can be had pretty cheap. I would not bore it unless you had too. Maybe just a home but measure your cylinders up and down make sure there is no taper or out of round. If you do need to bore go as little as possible. I'd do .010 if you can get away with it.

Thanks for the input. I dont really want to go with a performance build that would be suited to my liking due to the simple fact I may Or may not even use the block. If I opted to sell it later on , not everyone is interested in a semi built block vs a rebuilt to stock specs.

I was under the impression that the smallest oversize piston available would be a ..020"?

04stroker

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I dont really want to go with a performance build that would be suited to my liking due to the simple fact I may Or may not even use the block. If I opted to sell it later on , not everyone is interested in a semi built block vs a rebuilt to stock specs.

I was under the impression that the smallest oversize piston available would be a ..020"?

Yea I don't blame you I would just do like a Ford rebuild kit or piece it together which would be pistons, rings, all bearings. When it comes to boring just bore enough to straighten out the cylinder if you have too. May not even need that though. Like Lassie said .010 is available at Ford. I can also get you the parts of your Intrested.

loboost

Reaction score
Yea I don't blame you I would just do like a Ford rebuild kit or piece it together which would be pistons, rings, all bearings. When it comes to boring just bore enough to straighten out the cylinder if you have too. May not even need that though. Like Lassie said .010 is available at Ford. I can also get you the parts of your Intrested.

Rykan pm me a quote on the rebuild kit.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.