Silencer ring soloution/ fail . Need help

littleredstroker

Reaction score
So.... I don't even know how to start this...
Buddy of mine has a 02 7.3 and got some advise from a guy who is a total douche and I am pretty sure told him to do this as a joke not knowing he would actually attempt it.

He was told that drilling a 1/4 inch hole about an inch back from the outlet on the compressor housing would allow for a " awesome whistle" .. so he did it, now knowing he screwed the pooch, and not having the $$$ for a new housing is looking for a way to fix it... The only thing I can think of is using a tap to thread it and using a pipe plug.. I don't have any idea how else to fix it. Any ideas ?
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Radio

Reaction score
Is just tap it and use a plug for now. Id pull the housing off to do it though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Just pull the turbo, tap it, and put a pipe plug in there. Oh and BTW... Never let your "buddy" live this one down LOL

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Was just informed he is going to plug it grind it smooth so nobody can notice and sell the truck.. 280 k miles 4 door short bed... He wants 18000

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

TARM

Reaction score
Post a link to his sale so every one on here can make sure they steer clear of it.

Many Garrett turbos actually already come with a pre drilled and tapped hose in the comp housing that many use for boost ref for the wg. I just screw a plug with loctite into it. Point having a drilled and tapped hole in the comp housing is not that unusual. But doing it to have some whistle is out there. I had not tightened mine down on time and it vibrated out. Ran like a dog until I fixed it when I got back home. It only takes a very small opening to kill turbo perf.

Arisley

Reaction score
:whs:

Instead of trying to hide it, I would tap in and put a nipple in there and cap the nipple off.

Just never admit to why it is there.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I wouldn't claim this dude as a buddy. Well unless he's the type of buddy you keep around ONLY to make fun of regularly. Sounds like he could be nominated for several Darwin awards!!

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
What a dumbass, and asking 18k for the truck just makes it worse. It may be worth 10k if its mint!

El chupacabra

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to pick up your friend a new skin colored helmet. What was he doing with the sharp instrument he used to drill the hole? Who was supposed to be watching him? wtf lol

-Jake-

Latest posts

Members online