Single battery setups?

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Who out there is running a single battery? What did you do/change to run it (as far as cables or relocation all together)? Also what kind/size of battery do you run and what CCA is it rated at? Any pics would be nice too.

samoht517

Reaction score
I run a single group 31 with 900 or so cca. I run 2/0 from the battery to the starter and 2 from there up to the starter solenoid. One thing is my truck is ether start. If I did it again I'd run one group 8d with 1400 cca

RedSmokey

Reaction score
I run a single group 31 with 900 or so cca. I run 2/0 from the battery to the starter and 2 from there up to the starter solenoid. One thing is my truck is ether start. If I did it again I'd run one group 8d with 1400 cca

Thanks for the info. Got any pics? Im thinking about converting over to a 8D, or possibly two 31A with 950cca each.

Why do you need ether to start your truck?

:whs:

dave186

Reaction score
A pair of group 31 batteries is smaller, lighter, cheaper and has more CCAs than an 8D. We went through this on a couple of old trucks. not to mention you can find a group 31 just about anywhere. If I had a reason to change, thats what would be in my truck.

samoht517

Reaction score
I run ether because for some reason even with 2 batteries I draw to much power when cranking to fire the injector with glow plugs on so until I figure it out ether it is.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Right now I cant afford the 8D and Im thinking I want to keep the battery under the hood. So I will probably be picking up a 31A tomorrow and trying to figure out how to make this work with the single. Do I have to do anything with the ground cable on the driver side?

Edit: And I don't use the glow plugs, so we will see if the 950 CCA will work for me.

samoht517

Reaction score
You may or may not need to worry about the ground. The first time I did mine I didn't have the block grounded well enough so it wouldn't start. The key in dinger (sp) freaked out when there wasn't enough ground so it was easy to tell when it was

RedSmokey

Reaction score
So I said screw it yesterday and went and got a 31A battery and a new terminal. My positive terminal on the passenger side was beat to hell. So last night my buddy and I cut off the old terminal, soldered on 2 new wire ends and put on the new positive terminal. Removed the positive wiring for the driver side batter and just left the ground line sitting in there (at least for now). I have to say, my truck has never fired so easy/quick as it did this morning, especially when it was freezing outside. I think it was probably about 32* (Ice on truck, overhead said "ICE/32"). So as for Day 1 I'm pretty happy with it :D Thanks again for the info guys.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What battery did you go with Alex? It's time for a new one for me, and I'm sick of fighting these single battery issues... I may bite the bullet and throw duals in the bed... i just don't think this 1/0 I have is going to be enough... I have enough 1/0 to run from each battery to the front though, so that may be an option...

samoht517

Reaction score
Singles are fine if you don't need the truck as a DD but I'm going to be adding a second group 31 and isolating the glow plugs on one of them.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Screw a single... I'm about to go duals and just go to one side or to the frame rail.

Singles are fine if you don't need the truck as a DD but I'm going to be adding a second group 31 and isolating the glow plugs on one of them.

Im going to run a second 31 and either go to the frame rail or make a box and put them in the bed

Latest posts

Members online