Slop in shifter, now won't go into park

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Truck has had play in shifter since I bought it but always shifted in P,R,N,D,etc perfectly. Got in the truck yesterday and hooked up to the trailer. Pulled out f the yard and put it in park at the gas station and you could hear a clicking as the truck rolled (on slight decline). Noticed it was idling high like it was between gears. Goes into the other gears fine but the reading is off(read just left of R when in R). I checked the two bolts on the column and they are tight, and other ideas? Thanks guys

dangerous1

Reaction score
Check the bolts on the transmission. If on of the cable bolts fell out would do that.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Usually caused by the 2 bolts on the end of the shifter shaft that runs the length of the column being loose.

I have also seen one of the straps that holds the shaft to the column break and cause a similar issue. I would drop the column down and check the straps on top. If that is all good, check the mount on the trans where the cable attaches. If the cable mount is loose where it attaches to the trans case or the plastic mount on the actual cable is damaged, you will just have to replace the damaged parts.

Arisley

Reaction score
Usually caused by the 2 bolts on the end of the shifter shaft that runs the length of the column being loose.

I have also seen one of the straps that holds the shaft to the column break and cause a similar issue. I would drop the column down and check the straps on top. If that is all good, check the mount on the trans where the cable attaches. If the cable mount is loose where it attaches to the trans case or the plastic mount on the actual cable is damaged, you will just have to replace the damaged parts.

Check the two bolts. Hard to see. They are torx bolts. They like to come loose. I usually put a drop of blue Loctite on them.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looked over it a bit today in between rain drops and looks like the bushings in the column are well, toast... Going to start there and go from there. All the torx bolts were good and tight and the mount down on the trans was good as well.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yep... grease them bad boys up when you install new and you'll never have an issue again.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Well took it all apart on sunday and the bushings were actually good, the only play is at the very end of the rod(where it looks like a flat blade screw driver would go) and apparently there is no bushing that goes in there? Had my buddy over and he said it is probably out of adjustment down on the linkage on the trans itself so I popped off the cable and locking tab and went down to 1 and then put it back in drive with the lever in drive in the cab and reset the tab on the linkage. Well now it goes into P,R,N,D, and 2 perfectly but the shifter physically won't go down into 1....Not sure where to go from here. So fracking hot out I don't even want to work on it after getting home from work so its been sitting since

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Something has to be out of whack in the linkage on the column. I guarantee that the problem is in there. Without seeing it first hand though, it is hard to tell you where to look.

I just want to check, but the 2 screws at the bottom of the linkage on the column are tight correct?

Check the tube really well to see if there is a crack in it anywhere. I have seen that happen as well and it looks fine when you check it over, but when you apply pressure trying to shift gears, it will separate and not allow the shifter to move completely between the gears.

I believe I have a new one in my office at work as a spare. I can get some pictures for you to compare yours to tomorrow if that would help.

Arisley

Reaction score
Remove the linkage from the trans. Put the trans in park, put the shifter in park. Put the linkage in the center of the travel. Reassemble.

Latest posts