Snowmobile Powered Jet Boat

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Ok.. So I bought this stupid jet boat with a Mercury 120 in it that was junk. I can't seem to find any parts for that engine that are any good or reasonable in price so I'm going to part out the old engine and try a different power plant. I was thinking about a Busa motor with an aftermarket jet like a Berkley or something of that nature, but I would prefer to keep the jet pump that is in there right now. Problem is that the shaft is vertical not horizontal like most aftermarket jets. So, What do you sled heads think about a 1000 arctic cat two stroke mounted vertically with a chain drive to the output shaft.
I don't think that there are any limitations for changing the engine to vertical other than the carbs obviously. Which shouldn't be all that difficult. I am a master fabricator so I can basically make anything work out of nothing.

Otherwise I have to cut out the bottom of the boat for the Berkley jet.

This is just a fun tool around for the local lakes, but just like everything else I do I like fast.... Probably will do a different jet prop for higher speeds later after the engine is dialed in.

packin45

Reaction score
I would want to know for sure its being oiled properly. So running premix would be best I think. This is just brainstorming on my part. If you want a knowledgeable AC community lookup ArcticChat.com

Sent from my iPhone

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Ill check that out. I think you are correct about making it premix. I would prefer that anyways.

taterthedog

Reaction score
Going with a triple 1000 or the twin? Either should rip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I really like the twin mostly because of one less pipe to fab up. But if I find a triple with all the parts I need for the right price I won't hesitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmoozer

Reaction score
I would look at Cats 1000 twin. The M series sleds are EFI. If you search around you should be able to find an entire sled that has a bent chassis or some sort of damage that you could use as a donor for all of the parts and electronics that you might need.

-KCCO-

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.