Spar<->tan 6.4 SOTF (shift on the fly) BETA "Review"

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Well since I haven't seen a review put up for the SOTF, I thought to write one up and put it on up for those wondering whats happening with this.

Here is a "short" little "review" of the the first version of the software. (keep in mind its only been a few days since initial release and we are on the first version.)

First of all, we are very impressed on the quality of these new tunes, If you have currently have/had a spar<->tan on your truck:

you may have noticed/know that the older/current public production tunes (dated around 11/2011) are somewhat uncomfortable for some to daily drive (especially on the higher tunes 250 and up tunes.)

spar<->tans older tunes are somewhat known to have a very touchy/jerky/sensitive throttle, very hard shifting, frequent rev slams when in slow traffic/ turning etc.

Well I'm proud to say that with these new tunes ALL of those stated previous problems that the older tunes have/had are now gone and the new tunes are very pleasant to daily drive.

SOTF

Waiting 10 mins or more to load a lower or higher tune is a thing of the past, changes between power levels are instant changes, no waiting at all.

Switch connection

One simple plug in connection under the hood (IAT2 Harness) and that's it, route the cable into the cab, mount it where ever you want it, load the base file via your Dashdaq/nDash (if you want you can change the available on-screen options), other than that you are good to go.

Switch/cable is very high quality and the switch has a very nice OEM look to it, when mounted in the cigarette lighter port (next to the pedal adjustment switch it looks as it came from factory with the switch.

Tune characteristics

The tunes, drive very nice and they are leaps and bounds ahead of the old tuning, town/city driving (light throttle) truck drives and shifts like stock and are very smooth (no jerks/slams etc).

You will actually notice that the lower tunes (75HP/150HP) are little more response then the older tuning due to the SOTF software not being able to modify some torque management features so they are turned off.

On the 325: just like the lower tunes: this tune drives just like stock on the bottom end at light throttle, when you push down the pedal is when the fun starts to happen.

Power is phenomenal and comes in really smooth, shifts are somewhat firm and positive without being jerky and hard, I describe it as the transmission "clicking" into each gear when under medium to WOT, the shifts are absolutely amazing.

(for those who ran the first 325 beta for job2 + trucks, this version of the 325 drives/shifts even better than the first.)

For comparison
to spar<->tans 2015+ tuning, if you have driven the newer trucks with spar<->tan tunes, you will notice that going from the 6.7L to the 6.4L they both have very similar driving characteristics with this new tuning.

Switch

The way the switch setup in BETA form currently: Power levels are 75HP/150HP/210HP/325HP

By public release, you will be able to choose the order of the tunes what ever way you want (via OST/tuner.)

No relearn needed switching between tunes, switch between tunes where/whenever you want, these tunes are an absolute pleasure to drive.

These will make you forget about the older tuning as soon as you put your truck in gear and start pulling out from your driveway.

spar<->tan nailed these files, and when the full advanced OST is put in/ released its going to be a top notch product.

I want to thank them, (Spar<->tan) for giving us this amazing opportunity to help beta test this new software, its absolutely amazing how big of a improvement these are, over the old tuning.

You guys will love it.

Last edited:

aclark758

Reaction score
Been checking every day for new tunes. I've sent you a few messages with my info for cable and direct access to updated tunes. 08 F250 J1 currently on the 325 beta. I only have these options.. tire adjustment, systems ,torque converter and from what read I should have more options for J1 models? What I did exactly is back up my SD to CPU then I erased the tuning folder then ran the update from the SD and unzipped. Then I had the tuning folder back with the beta. Was I supposed to run the update from transfer folder? Any ETA on the complete tu
ne update and OST? thanks Powerstroke Man for all your work. Here's my email if it's useful at this point. [email protected]

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Adding to the OP ^

Can't wait to see, what spar<->tan puts in the future betas its truly an amazing product and the way everything is made to work is mind blowing.

Going from tune to tune in a matter of milliseconds, you can feel the transmission shifting strategy change from a smooth shifts in the lower (75, 150 tunes) to a nice "smooth" firm "click" on the 325 and power instantly picks up.

I played around with it while on the throttle, switching between all tunes a few times.

Everything just works, not once going through the tunes have I experienced a hiccup or rev slam or slip, its all smooth transitions.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Been checking every day for new tunes. I've sent you a few messages with my info for cable and direct access to updated tunes. 08 F250 J1 currently on the 325 beta. I only have these options.. tire adjustment, systems ,torque converter and from what read I should have more options for J1 models? What I did exactly is back up my SD to CPU then I erased the tuning folder then ran the update from the SD and unzipped. Then I had the tuning folder back with the beta. Was I supposed to run the update from transfer folder? Any ETA on the complete tu
ne update and OST? thanks Powerstroke Man for all your work. Here's my email if it's useful at this point. [email protected]

I'm assuming you are on the non SOTF 325 beta for job 1?

If so yes you did it correct, you will only have the basic OST options, as the spar<->tan didn't released the advanced OST yet.

Last edited:

aclark758

Reaction score
Yes I did not catch SDT on time for the cable. They ran out almost immediately but i believe they should have them back in stock if not now then soon. Thanks that is what I thought. I have gotten very familiar with the OS on the DD and file management. Since I was not part of the SOTF beta will I have to purchase the cable once the new update is released? Assuming beta is always a trial and no cost to the testers. I am loving the new update on the aggressive behavior of the transmission and throttle dampening. Those rev slams didnt happen much but when they did I would be more than annoyed.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Since I was not part of the SOTF beta will I have to purchase the cable once the new update is released?

I remember Matt saying by the time they get their next shipment of cables, hopefully they will be ready for a public release (below).

yes you will have the purchase switch when released and its likely to be in the $200 range.

We are currently out of cable/switch assemblies until our large stock order of components arrive. Hopefully, by arrival, we will be ready for a public release.

Last edited:

aclark758

Reaction score
No worries, I have the paramedics on stand-by for when I give an arm and a leg for it haha. I just assume anything and everything is pricey. $200 isnt alot I just hope access to the tunes and OST updates are included.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
No worries, I have the paramedics on stand-by for when I give an arm and a leg for it haha. I just assume anything and everything is pricey. $200 isnt alot I just hope access to the tunes and OST updates are included.

Yes, when you purchase the switch it comes with the SOTF tunes.

If I remember correctly the advanced OST will be a free update for all.

aclark758

Reaction score
They cant come soon enough. I have also read that updates etc.. are posted on Facebook. Yet I can't find and accurate page or group on there. I sent a group request for ******* Diesel Updates and 08-10 6.4l Powerstroke but they're both closed. If you know the links I would appreciate it. Switching tunes without resetting the ECU won't confuse it or throw anything out of spec? Lets say for example when you go from a 325 down to 75, the injectors or Fuel Rail wont get damaged? Like a fire hose, the pressure inside if you open/close instantly you can damage hose and pump. We call it a "water hammer" does that make sense or is that a bad example?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Switching tunes without resetting the ECU won't confuse it or throw anything out of spec? Lets say for example when you go from a 325 down to 75, the injectors or Fuel Rail wont get damaged? Like a fire hose, the pressure inside if you open/close instantly you can damage hose and pump. We call it a "water hammer" does that make sense or is that a bad example?

No sir, you can switch to whatever tune you want, whenever you want.

All instant changes, no problems at all.

Last edited:

Vernon

Reaction score
PS Man,

So as I see it, if you got on the beta testing you got a cable and multiple tunes. If not, you can download the 325 beta and test that. No other tunes are available until official release for non beta users.
Where I'm going with that is... I tow heavy (14K) and am only dp.. off, no studs, or eg.. d yet. Can I use the 325? 2008 job1 tran with updated TCM to J3.

???
Vernon

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
PS Man,

So as I see it, if you got on the beta testing you got a cable and multiple tunes. If not, you can download the 325 beta and test that. No other tunes are available until official release for non beta users.
Where I'm going with that is... I tow heavy (14K) and am only dp.. off, no studs, or eg.. d yet. Can I use the 325? 2008 job1 tran with updated TCM to J3.

???
Vernon

The newest 325 non SOTF beta does include the lower tunes, (They are just not updated they are the older ones.)

I personally wouldn't use the 325 as a towing tune for that weight, that's just me though.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73000

Last edited:

djr4x4

Reaction score
PS Man,

???
Vernon
Id go with the normal 210 tow tune for that heavy to be on the safe side..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Vernon

Reaction score
Thanks Gentlemen,
I did know the older tunes were still there but now understand the 325 is more for fun. Gonna try the 325 lightly just for fun. Tow on the 210tp only! Hoping they come out with the 210tp update ASAP. I see many use this exclusively.
Thanks again to all,
V

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Thanks Gentlemen,
I did know the older tunes were still there but now understand the 325 is more for fun. Gonna try the 325 lightly just for fun. Tow on the 210tp only! Hoping they come out with the 210tp update ASAP. I see many use this exclusively.
Thanks again to all,
V

The 210 (SOTF Version), does great towing (this truck in the OP is a F-350 DRW Tow Boss, 4.30s)

Towed the other day, and it did awesome.

Vernon

Reaction score
Soooo, When can I get the cable and update is the question. Looking forward to the official release.
V

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Soooo, When can I get the cable and update is the question. Looking forward to the official release.
V

When ever beta testing is finished and they get their shipment of switches in.

They are trying to get as much feedback as possible from different people/trucks, so they can fix what ever bugs it may have etc.

So when its released to the public i'll be good to go.

i'll be worth the wait :thumbsup:

joshua5438

Reaction score
I want to chime in and say that I am very happy with the SOTF tuning. I have had zero rev slams since switching last weekend. I would agree with everything Powerstroke Man 6.4 has stated. S partan has nailed it this time. I can only imagine what its going to be once all the beta testing is over and the actual product is released. This is for sure a game changer in the 6.4 world!

Latest posts

Members online