Sterling 10.5 broke last weekend, what parts to use to fix

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Hauling cows with the farm truck (2007, f350, 4x4, SRW, with 102,000 miles) this last weekend and going up a steep hill from a dead stop loaded the rear end went out. I haven't pulled it apart yet but it sounds like the ring and pinion doesn't have any teeth left, the drive shaft and input shaft into the axle spins but the truck doesn't move and the rear end goes clunk clunk clunk. So not 100% knowing what's wrong yet what would be the best parts to put back in and not break the bank or the rear end again. Any help would be great, links would be great the truck has a zf6 and 4:10's.

Also a Dana 80 wouldnt be out of the question from a 99-04 drw if there is an easy way to make the Dana 80 match sterling 10.50 in length so the tires are in the factory position.

ford_trck

Reaction score
Pull your diff cover off and see what type of carnage you did. It could be an axle with a weak limited slip also.

ford_trck

Reaction score
I think I have Yukon gears in mine with a Detroit true trac. I don't remember what brand the rebuild kit is though.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Well figured that out, we're getting a new/used axle Monday for $700 with a 6 month warranty if we return it has 114,000 miles on it.

image_zps1d786695.jpg

David N

Reaction score
Looks like your pinion bearings went out and allowed the pinion to drop down and come in contact with the carrier. With only 102k miles, that shouldn't have happened. Make sure your oil levels are always correct, because usually the bearing failure is from low oil.

And I'd say that was a good deal you got that rear end for. I just recently rebuilt a 10.5 for a friend that the same thing happened. Just the parts were well over $600. Plus the time to do it.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Looks like your pinion bearings went out and allowed the pinion to drop down and come in contact with the carrier. With only 102k miles, that shouldn't have happened. Make sure your oil levels are always correct, because usually the bearing failure is from low oil.

And I'd say that was a good deal you got that rear end for. I just recently rebuilt a 10.5 for a friend that the same thing happened. Just the parts were well over $600. Plus the time to do it.

Or it made contact because the whole carrier broke in half. LOL

co04cobra

Reaction score
Thats right in the price range on the rear. Unless you just "want" to rebuild your rear buying a good used one is usually just as cheap if not less.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Levels were good replaced the seal where the drive shaft enters and everything looked great then, that was about a year ago and it doesn't leak, it's parked on concrete every night and there are no drops on the ground, the truck just get used hard, like I said it barely leaves the trailer in the winter, it gets stuck with load on it and every day we leave the field it's straight up a steep hill in 2nd gear to the top with 7 or 8 ton on the 28' trailer, on sometimes you get axle hops with loads on. It's not a pavement princes it's a farm truck; I think it may be getting traction bars, I think that will help a lot.

Latest posts

Members online