Stolen pcm/Idm?!

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Hello all,
Firstly thanks for all of them information everyone has shared on here, has been incredibly useful over the last couple of years. Just got around to joining.
I blew a rod t 234,000 and replaced the engine with a crate motor that came with new AC injectors.
After I got it installed and tried to start it up it only cranks over. No wait to start no fuel pump, gpr has no power with the key on.
I had it parked at a shop for a few weeks while I located the engine. When I picked it up the front driver side mud flap was sitting on the lf tire. Didn't think anything of it at the time also the gpr was under the hood with a broken stud and the aih relay was gone. They admitted to the relays. Anyway when I started trying to diagnose my no start problem. I looked at the idm and pcm.
The PCM had 2 bolts finger tight and a third on the floor boards, the idm was just hanging by the wires in the fender. They will not admit to having touched them at all and security cameras don't go back that far. I replaced the idm with a new one to see if that would change anything and it didnt. I have no blown fuses and the PCM gets warm when the key is on.
From my understanding if the PCM is not functioning the idm will not either to prevent the engine from flooding? Don't know if thats correct. Tomorrow I will test all of the fuses with a multi meter to see if the have power.
What would everyone suggest I do to be confident that I am correct these items have been stolen and replaced with bad parts? I obviously want to be as sure as I can before I drop the money on a new pcm (non returnable BTW idm is returnable)
Any help would be great.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
You need someone to hook it up to a good scanner. They can tell you if the PCM and/or idm are bad.

PLEASE do not go pay dealership prices for a PCM. That border lines on insanity. IMO.

A reputable shop could have probably fixed all of your issues for the price you paid for a new idm. Luckily it is returnable I see.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
For the price of towing and a diagnostic fee I can pretty much buy a new pcm anyway. And yes 1500$ for a pcm would be insanity.
If I find d a used pcm would I be able to drive after I plug it in or would I need a reflash? reason I ask is because if I buy a new one from oriellys I would have to have it flashed before I could drive they said.
I tested the fuses today and they are all good, however...
The #19 for fuel pump motor/pcm has no power with the key on my number 24 fuse for pcm power has power and the PCM does get warm with the key on so it has power the #19 fise under the steering wheel for pcm relay coil/fuel heater doesn't have power. Anyone know where that relay coil is?
It's a 2001 7.3 f250 lariat. I'll check the manual.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Used PCM plug in and go. Pcms from parts stores are worse then paying new dealership price...

Any DPC-422 code pcm will work for you. ( I assumed your truck was a auto)

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Thanks cobra.
Oriellys can't get one anyway. I guess I'll call DP tuner and see what they have. No local places are coming up with anything.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Well I'm sending the PCM to Jody at DP tuning. Hopefully they can fix it and all will be well..

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Nothing they can do for my pcm. Anyone know where I can look for a used one? I tried that national junkyard database and found one in Arizona but they will not ship it. Any help at all would be great I need this truck back. If it helps motivate you to look for one I'm a disabled vet lol

dsberman94

Reaction score
Superduty ford truck parts on Facebook has a lot of this kind of stuff. And they'll ship it. They're located out of morehead Kentucky. I know they've got IDMs for $115 and I'm sure they'll have PCMs, you can find out by calling or messaging them.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
I bought one from co04cobra.
He's going to send it to dp tuning for me. Hopefully I'll have it back next week and be running by the weekend.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
For the pcm yesterday and installed it this morning. Once I got the fuel lines purged she fired right up coughed a bit but she smoothed out now. Just making sure the fluids are good and doing a coolant flush.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Be sure and tell your friends that priority one truck repair on Brest Rd in Taylor Mi are thieves and liars.
Anyone have any recommendations on reporting them in some way other then online reviews/word of mouth?

Latest posts

Members online