Storing 6.0 in the winter

kmanxj

Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about selling the OBS this fall and buying a 6.0 from a southern state in the spring. If I do this I don't want to drive the truck in the winter.

Does anyone here store their 6.0 during the winter? I've read elsewhere on the web that the turbo will size up. Looking for some first hand experience.

Strokethis213

Reaction score
Stiction issues with the injectors 6.0 s should run once a week to keep everything going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdumont01

Reaction score
Turbo will most likely rust up if you only start it and idle it alot, 6.0s need to be beat constantly. I'd be more worried about a valve sticking than an injector after sitting for long periods of time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kmanxj

Reaction score
It would be sitting from late october until late March most likely, so about 5 months.

Taking it out and running it would not happen. Is there a way to prevent the stiction while in storage?

Will the turbo rust just sitting there? This will be cold storage also so it will see temps below zero for possibly days at a time.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Store it in a heated garage and there should be no problems. Luck of the draw I guess. Its like leaving tools outside in a toolbox after a cold night the next day warms up and they get condensation all over them. Worse case you have to pull the turbo off and clean it not hard at all.

kmanxj

Reaction score
Store it in a heated garage and there should be no problems. Luck of the draw I guess. Its like leaving tools outside in a toolbox after a cold night the next day warms up and they get condensation all over them. Worse case you have to pull the turbo off and clean it not hard at all.

I wish I had that option. I'm already a little skeptical about switching to a 6.0 and this was one of my main concerns.

Does it hurt anything to start these trucks if the turbo has rust?

pdumont01

Reaction score
Nope nothing at all it would be fine only way you would know is low booSt or lagging off the line. I've cleaned hundreds of them

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Disconnect the batteries and fire it back up in the spring.

Better to let it sit in the dry cold than idle it once a week imo

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I store my truck every winter, with archoil (or revx) in the oil, full tank of fuel with winter power service (recommended amount) and put the battery tender on it with no issues.

Mines a non vgt.. But I've stored a vgt truck through a winter with no issues.

I also start mine from time to time just because I miss it lol.

patricku47

Reaction score
Being from Texas, I'm not sure what a winter is, but I wouldn't worry too much about storing it that long. Worst case as stated, you pull the turbo apart and clean it, it takes about an hour at most. Switching from an OBS to a 6.0 was one of the best decisions I have ever made, so I wouldn't let something like this keep you from doing it!

kmanxj

Reaction score
I store my truck every winter, with archoil (or revx) in the oil, full tank of fuel with winter power service (recommended amount) and put the battery tender on it with no issues.

Mines a non vgt.. But I've stored a vgt truck through a winter with no issues.

I also start mine from time to time just because I miss it lol.

Your in Michigan to so you know the struggle! Thanks

Being from Texas, I'm not sure what a winter is, but I wouldn't worry too much about storing it that long. Worst case as stated, you pull the turbo apart and clean it, it takes about an hour at most. Switching from an OBS to a 6.0 was one of the best decisions I have ever made, so I wouldn't let something like this keep you from doing it!

I'm hoping I am saying the same thing. Have to show all my buddies with Duramaxes what a real truck is.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Red truck gets put away every year, typically the last 3 years we rip the cab off, pull the motor out, tear it down completely, then come March we put it back together and fire it up. This way everything can be inspected. But we do like to be thorough......

But on a serious note previously we have stored it top off
Fluids additive in the fuel unhook batteries you should be just fine

kmanxj

Reaction score
Red truck gets put away every year, typically the last 3 years we rip the cab off, pull the motor out, tear it down completely, then come March we put it back together and fire it up. This way everything can be inspected. But we do like to be thorough......

But on a serious note previously we have stored it top off
Fluids additive in the fuel unhook batteries you should be just fine

What additives do you recommend?

pdumont01

Reaction score
I use the ford stuff. Antigel and performance enhancer

Derkperk

Reaction score
I park mine for the mn winter. Full of fuel and batteries disconnected. Fires up like it ran te day before come spring.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.