Stripped Valve Cover bolts

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
So this weekend when I was down at MPD we found a handful of stripped valve cover bolts in the rocker box. Go to reinstall valve covers and the passenger side is leaking terribly because the bolts won't tighten down. OF course they are all in the very back so impossible to get to... Planning on pulling the cab this weekend and installing helicoils in the stripped holes. Anyone ever done this before? Anything to watch out for?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
tig wire in the hole and put new bolts works when we find stripped bolts

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Heli coils are legit. Like said already, don't drill a deeper hole, so I like to find out the depth of the hole with a wire then mark the drill bit. Drill straight as can be and make sure you tap it straight too.

Its a pretty straight forward job...

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Yeah deff helicoil them. It's pretty straight forward. Like stated just make sure to drill straight

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

OBS F350

Reaction score
The very back one on my d/s head is stripped lol just my luck. Although it doesn't seem to leak. Helicoil is definitely the way to go. With the cab up you should have zero issues getting a nice straight shot at it. If you can do injectors on a 6.0 these will be no problemeo.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I'm going to try and tighten the loose ones first if I can and hope the stripped ones somewhat hold. If that doesn't work the cab will come up and do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Dug into it today. Was able to get the iffy ones on the side to tighten down enough to hold... The one in the back the threads were completely gone but luckily it goes all the way through so I was able to nut and bolt it and get it sealed up nice. Next time this thing comes apart for headgaskets it is definitely getting new rocker boxes and all new VC hardware... screw this!

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Hey bro look into time-serts. They seem to be better option at times. Just another option..

Latest posts

Members online