Stupid newb question

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
OK, what is the secret to get the serpentine belt off an 03 6.0? I'm trying to replace it and it appears like I have to take off the entire fan and shroud assembly. Am I just missing something simple? :fustrate:

Agjake11

Reaction score
simpliest way to remove the belt i have seen was to unbolt the alternator and tilt it towards the front of the truck to remove the belt from it. other than that im no help

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Theres a square hole in the tensioner for 1/2" drive ratchet. Take tension off of it and slide it off the alternator.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MINK

Reaction score
simpliest way to remove the belt i have seen was to unbolt the alternator and tilt it towards the front of the truck to remove the belt from it. other than that im no help

LOL guilty of doing that one

fordboy11

Reaction score
Jump up on passenger tire
Pull the belt towards you
look down at your belt tentioner and pull up on the silver little tab
It will lock the belt loose
Replace belt
When complete
Grab belt in same spot
Pull hard and let go.
Hope this helps

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Got the old one off(removed alternator). Trying to put new one on. First, had to search internet for routing diagram as the sticker on the radiator is COMPLETELY different than what I've got. Second, there is a plastic "cage" that bolts to the radiator and to the engine. Absolutely NO room for me to get my hands in there let alone the belt or a ratchet to loosen the damn tensioner. WTF Ford? And the "cage" appears to be one piece that goes completely around the fan. :fustrate::fustrate::fustrate::fustrate::fustrate:

MINK

Reaction score
Got the old one off(removed alternator). Trying to put new one on. First, had to search internet for routing diagram as the sticker on the radiator is COMPLETELY different than what I've got. Second, there is a plastic "cage" that bolts to the radiator and to the engine. Absolutely NO room for me to get my hands in there let alone the belt or a ratchet to loosen the damn tensioner. WTF Ford?

LOL take a look at a 6.4....Sounds like you got it handled

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
One pulley that I can't get the belt around. I need someone that is anorexic and 7 ft tall to get their skinny long arms/hands in there.

fordboy11

Reaction score
You have to bounce around up top and under the truck it helps if you have a buddy as well. I know it's a pretty ****ty thing ford did to us lol. You should see how cut my arms are from doing it.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
That guard your talking about unclips (Well the part by the alternator does). there are about 5 tabs it sits on that you have to pry it over. Gently pry it over one tab at a time from the top down. It breaks pretty easily if you pry to hard.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Finally finished. Ford engineers are heartless, souless bastards who thrive on the frustration and misery of the backyard mechanic and I hope they all get kicked in the balls and step in poo.

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
I drained the radiator a little, moved it forward, pulled the radiator shroud, removed the fan stator, and fan shroud. Then it's really easy.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I drained the radiator a little, moved it forward, pulled the radiator shroud, removed the fan stator, and fan shroud. Then it's really easy.
I'll add that leaving the stator off will open up the front of the motor quite a bit. Without the stator in the way belt and pulley changes are a breeze.

Several guys have never put that midevil torture device back on, with no ill effects.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.