Stupid turbo question

bricewise

Reaction score
This is really just to educate me. But what all goes into upgrading/changing your turbo? And why have companies taken so long to come out with something for the 6.7? Am I missing something? Turbo, housing? Or is it the tuning that's stoping companies?

I know some of you are going to look at this thread and think I'm a dumb ****. But got to thinking and I really didn't know.

And then I guess the next question would be what makes the test turbo Elite is trying to sell specifically for 6.4? Is it on a special pedestal? So confused.

zippyrat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I don't think it is tuning because the single turbos out there are running on h and s just fine.
And the piping is easy enough.
I think allot of companies are trying to get a turbo kit that uses all the factory oil and coolant feeds as well as emmisions friendly I am thinking.
Allot of turbo's have custom turbine housing or pedestal designs making them engine specific.
With a t4 mounting kit you have a wide variety of options.

Rowdy

Reaction score
Plus upgrading the turbo would be pointless without adding fuel. So they also add to figure out mounting and piping duel fuelers. The stock 6.7 is maxed out on air and fuel with H&S tuning. The injectors can handle more fuel but the stock CP4 can't keep up the rail pressure.

zippyrat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Upgrading the turbo to a looser housing than stock and adding headers will flow better, so there should be some performance gains that way.
cooler egt better mpg
Rowdy is correct though about 15% more fuel than an h and s hot tune and the rail is draining, with a junk cp4 from lack of lube not too far behind

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Plus upgrading the turbo would be pointless without adding fuel. So they also add to figure out mounting and piping duel fuelers. The stock 6.7 is maxed out on air and fuel with H&S tuning. The injectors can handle more fuel but the stock CP4 can't keep up the rail pressure.

H&S got 600 out of their single turbo truck on stock fuel. So I wouldn't say pointless, but adding fuel will defiantly help out a lot.

Rowdy

Reaction score
H&S got 600 out of their single turbo truck on stock fuel. So I wouldn't say pointless, but adding fuel will defiantly help out a lot.

No sir...H&S got 600Hp out of there single turbo kit with DUEL FUELERS which is not stock fuel. They added a CP3 fueler on top of the factory CP4 fueler. Because the factory CP4 can't keep up the 29k psi rail pressure with our stock turbos much less a bigger 63mm turbo that is feeding more air. The injectors them selves are still stock and only running at 1365us duration with H&S Hot tune. Which is about half the duration they used when they made they 884Hp run.

Latest posts

Members online