Synthetic oil

Ford_tough

Reaction score
I read a page a while back where they tested different types of oil in a bunch of taxis & If I remember correctly some did 3000, some did 6000, some 7000 & I think 10,000 & there was hardly any difference between the lot. I usually go about 6k before I change mine. Some say you can go more depending on driving style, weather, heat & so forth but I just feel better doing it at about 5 to 6000

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
the IOLM "intelligent oil life monitor" will make calculations in an algorithm based on several conditions. here is an article: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...=Owner/Page/ArticleDetail&recid=1251387049862

my expirience is
*rotella T- 6500miles
*country mark superoil gold- 6500-7000
*motorcraft 15w40- 7200-7800
*royal purple 15w40 8200-9000 with fuel economy gains of .5-1mpg
urea consumption is directly effected by oil quality also
at $4 a gallon for fuel and $26 for a tank of urea a rotella truck will use $1651 worth of fuel and urea in 6500 miles @16mpg. thats $0.254 per mile.
a royal purple truck @8500 miles will use $2026 in fuel and urea @17mpg averaging $0.238 per mile. average the 2 different oils @8500 miles and the royal purple will save $133 in fuel.
the oil costs $68.64 more per oil change but it nearly pays for itself twice just in fuel savings! I don't know about you guys but I would rather give the money to a specialty motor oil company than the fuel refineries.

other synthetics may do just as good and it would be nice to see the results of testing. so post em up guys!

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Anyone else try the Royal Purple with the same results? Thats awesome longevity and gains on the truck. When would you recommend doing the first oil change on a new truck?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice post power struck !!

How many quarts do the 6.7 drink ona change ?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
When would you recommend doing the first oil change on a new truck?
wait for the truck to tell you when to change it. also i have been testing a product called X1-R with factory fluids. add it to engine, trans, power steering, diffs, A/C and transfer case and it posts similar gains

TyCorr

Reaction score
The dirtymax goes 10k between changes, gets around 10mpg, and gets regular conventional oil. Hooked.to a trailer the fuel.economy is so bad there is no point.

So the 6.7psd gets better fuel.economy than the 6.6 dmax?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
The dirtymax goes 10k between changes, gets around 10mpg, and gets regular conventional oil. Hooked.to a trailer the fuel.economy is so bad there is no point.

So the 6.7psd gets better fuel.economy than the 6.6 dmax?
about 5mpg better than the other brands that are using a dpf

bad12jr

Reaction score
X-1r is good stuff. Ran it for years in our dirt late model. Valve train was much happier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

135Hoster

Reaction score
Have you done a used oil analysis on the royal purple?

I don't think the RP has the same zinc content as the rotella T6, which may or may not have any impact on engine longevity.

I'm averaging about 15.2mpg on mine w/ T6 with a lead foot and city driving.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Have you done a used oil analysis on the royal purple?

I don't think the RP has the same zinc content as the rotella T6, which may or may not have any impact on engine longevity.

I'm averaging about 15.2mpg on mine w/ T6 with a lead foot and city driving.

Ive been running Royal Purple since day one.

Before DPF-Delete... Oil was black within the first 1,000 miles.

After DPF-Delete...Oil gradually started staying cleaner and cleaner as I cycled oil changes.

Current OIL change has 9,000 miles on it and the oil is STILL "Crystal Clear".

On another note.

How many of you guys have had an oil related engine failure due to lack of lubricity. The "SCAM" of oils is an age old battle and obviously still is!!.

LOL__ MOST guys dont keep a truck long enough to even give a rats butt. OR they blow a rod out the side of the block long before the bearings ever consider a failure due to "bad oil"

As the Wallstreet Journal reports at the bottom of their columns.

Im long term for "Royal Purple"

Rowdy

Reaction score
I was told by a couple of different powerstroke mechanics to run the motor craft oil and just change it every 5k miles. When I asked about running full synthetic. They said it is a waist of money to run synthetic. Guess every one has there own opinion on it.:shrug: I used to run full synthetic Mobil 1 turbo diesel 15w-40 in my last truck had no complaints on it other than it is pretty expensive. Is any one running the Rev -X additive in a 6.7?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Ive been running Royal Purple since day one.

Before DPF-Delete... Oil was black within the first 1,000 miles.

After DPF-Delete...Oil gradually started staying cleaner and cleaner as I cycled oil changes.

Current OIL change has 9,000 miles on it and the oil is STILL "Crystal Clear".

On another note.

How many of you guys have had an oil related engine failure due to lack of lubricity. The "SCAM" of oils is an age old battle and obviously still is!!.

LOL__ MOST guys dont keep a truck long enough to even give a rats butt. OR they blow a rod out the side of the block long before the bearings ever consider a failure due to "bad oil"

As the Wallstreet Journal reports at the bottom of their columns.

Im long term for "Royal Purple"

what royal purple are you using ?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
what royal purple are you using ?

15w40 DEO Whatever the latest and greatest was 2yrs ago. HA!-- Not sure on its absolute specs.

Ill prolly pull an oil sample on this change coming up just out of curiosity. Slip it in with the other 20 I take on a monthly basis.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I find that the Ford stuff, changed every 5,000 is easier for me. I am also one of the guys that will most likely NOT keep his rig for 150,000 or more miles, so overall longevity is not up front in my mind. Also, every 5 k is just plain easier for me to keep track of... That is for the duallie... is is less than 2 months old, and I am about to change the oil, again, at 15 K next week... Honestly for as quickly as I put miles on, it is just easier for me to keep up with....

On the 250, if I can keep turbos in it for more than 5 K.... I would change the oil to something better, and change it more often...... LOL Last time I changed the oil was in Beaumont, TX, but I only changed out 2 gallons, out of the exhaust pipe, in the Waffle House parking lot... LOL

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
On the 250, if I can keep turbos in it for more than 5 K.... I would change the oil to something better, and change it more often...... LOL Last time I changed the oil was in Beaumont, TX, but I only changed out 2 gallons, out of the exhaust pipe, in the Waffle House parking lot... LOL

:derailon

You should talk to the guy who's is/will be working on your 250 about staining parking lots. He has some experience. :D

:derailoff

RedRice589

Reaction score
I find that the Ford stuff, changed every 5,000 is easier for me. I am also one of the guys that will most likely NOT keep his rig for 150,000 or more miles, so overall longevity is not up front in my mind. Also, every 5 k is just plain easier for me to keep track of... That is for the duallie... is is less than 2 months old, and I am about to change the oil, again, at 15 K next week... Honestly for as quickly as I put miles on, it is just easier for me to keep up with....

Bro just Parkin lot primping now buddy!!!!

Latest posts

Members online