Test mule build

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Couldnt tell ya what its made of. The HD wasnt in stock at the time and Mike had great results with BTS so i went that route. No problems so far.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
These shafts still break. All of them will at some point. It would be nice if/when there is a failure it is mentioned so we know how and when/what is causing it. Tadd broke one too a while back. Tuning plays a huge role in the life of them IMO.

TurboM700

Reaction score
I highly doubt the bts shaft is , or can be proven to be stronger than the TCS 300M , at best it will be equal strength , unless their using a better material than 300m, which to my knowledge doesn't exist in shaft design.

There is harder shafts them 300M. They have been using them in rock crawling rigs for the last yr and there holding up great where 300m will brake. Cant remember the name right now of the material but when I think of it I will post it. When I looked into it it was about 6x the cost of 300m and harder to machine.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
There is harder shafts them 300M. They have been using them in rock crawling rigs for the last yr and there holding up great where 300m will brake. Cant remember the name right now of the material but when I think of it I will post it. When I looked into it it was about 6x the cost of 300m and harder to machine.

Holy $hit good to know. I'd love to know what it is , maybe someone will step up and try making them. Obviously they will be retardedly expensive but IMO worth it not to leave me stranded , and broke off in my converter , and trash pushed thru my trans.

Wayne

Reaction score
The torque/HP I'm putting down is not the problem with the shaft failure. It's the jarring shifts that killed it. I'll be getting Innovative 3.02 tunes within the week, and some gearhead stuff as well. I've heard excellent things on both tuning configurations, so hopefully shaft breakage is a thing of the past for me.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I think you'll load the gearhead file, and not turn back. His trans tuning is perfection.

madman1234509

Reaction score
The shifting is still harsh with them? Ever since I installed mine, my shifts have been so smooth and not very harsh at all. I think maybe a hand full of times Ive had a miss shift under weird circumstances. Sucks to hear it broke, isnt that the 2nd time recently something random went in his tranny going down the road?

Wayne

Reaction score
I think the fact that the truck is only at the 600 hp level, and still broke an overdrive planetary and billet input speaks for itself in how harsh the shifting is. I've had traction bars on long since before all the testing began. The truck has always shifted great in the lower level trans tunes. I just haven't dared run a really strong engine tune, and a conservative trans tune together for fear of burning up the clutches. The problem is definitely not a mechanical issue. The trans is working as designed. I'm very confident improved trans tuning will solve all my shifting problems.

This is my 2nd trans failure as stated above. A couple months ago I shattered the overdrive planetary due to harsh shifting. The input was the only billet component at that point. When it broke, I upgraded the trans to a stage 3 (adding billet intermediate shaft, upgrading the input, and adding the billet low/reverse hub and overdrive planetary). I also have a stage 5 intermediate clutch pack now. Once the tuning is settled, it'll be on to new baseline, and more turbo data.

madman1234509

Reaction score
So your shifting is harsh with the innovative tuning? I have absolutely no complaints with my newest update of spartan on the highest tunes. Have you changed tuners and if so noticed a difference in shifting from innovative.

Hearing that your shifting is that harsh makes me concerned because with my build Im going to need custom tuning, and it'd make me want to steer away from Innovative a little if the shifting is as you say

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Wayne has old tuning. My new id tunes shift very good. Matt's do as well. I would say the only place I see a difference in the tuners is the 3-5 , gearhead is a touch smoother.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I see. Ill have to make a decision when the time comes I guess. Pretty much stuck between the 3, Innovative, RCD, and Gearhead. Id like to be able to send data logs and remote tune as there isnt a dyno relatively close to me. Different debate for a different thread, derail over!

jdgleason

Reaction score
So your shifting is harsh with the innovative tuning? I have absolutely no complaints with my newest update of spartan on the highest tunes. Have you changed tuners and if so noticed a difference in shifting from innovative.

Hearing that your shifting is that harsh makes me concerned because with my build Im going to need custom tuning, and it'd make me want to steer away from Innovative a little if the shifting is as you say

Adding a shift kit in the trans combined with firm shifting that was originally designed for a stock transmission doesn't help.

madman1234509

Reaction score
So should I still go ahead and throw the shift kit that I have in the tranny and get custom tuning. Or should I hold off on putting it in when its rebuilt?

Spatel23

Reaction score
I honestly don't see the need for a shift kit all together. Personally, I'd leave it out, it's just one more thing the tuner has to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online