Throwing Codes with upgrades.

7.3Kiraly

Reaction score
I have a 02 powerstroke. Have the 7.3 in her with the duals at the rear. not even at the 140km mark on it. Been looking to start doing a few upgrades but dont know where to start and what to expect for the outcome
I was looking to start with 5 inch exhaust straight front to back and a cold air.
a light tow tune too.
My concerns would be throwing a code with the straight echaust, will it fit too or will i have to go with a 4 inch down pipe.
What is a good tune to look for. Not wanting the huge ponys but more for fuel economy?

stroker2

Reaction score
No codes should be thrown at all. Put a straight pipe on it if you want or you can do a 4" exhaust. Yes a 4" will fit just fine. Put a custom tuned chip on it from swamps diesel, dp tuner, gearhead, elite, diesel innovations, etc

7.3Kiraly

Reaction score
Ive been looking on XDP and they sell full 5 inch exhausts for the 7.3, i dont want to start hacking the firewall though. Safer with a 4 inch dp and 5 inch back. Also trying to figuring if i should go with a dry filter or oil based one. Ive heard of dirt ending up in the oil pan coming through the oil based filters... does the filter type matter?

under pressure

Reaction score
Improper care of a high end oil type air filter is bad. I live in AZ, and clean /oil my filter every other month.

02BigD

Reaction score
Never seen a 5" dp, and have a difficult time believing one will fit. Lots of people run both types of filters, search will provide you with opinions.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Ive been looking on XDP and they sell full 5 inch exhausts for the 7.3, i dont want to start hacking the firewall though. Safer with a 4 inch dp and 5 inch back. Also trying to figuring if i should go with a dry filter or oil based one. Ive heard of dirt ending up in the oil pan coming through the oil based filters... does the filter type matter?

Just get the 6637 air filter

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
There is no real benefit to 5" exhaust at sub par HP levels. A 4" system will do just fine and fit great. As far as filters go... I am not a big fan of the oil type filters. If you clean and over oil it you could end up with issues. Just get a dry filter and change it at your normal intervals.

TyCorr

Reaction score
5" sounds different. There are no 5" downpipes. 5" systems use 4" dp that are necked up to 5" pipe. Some big frame turbochargers may have 5" dp. A 5" system compared to a 4" straight for straight the 5" is louder. I have heard that 5" drones but I find that usually mufflers resonate at frequencies that create the droning.

I prefer the 5" on most trucks.

jbwaldrop88

Reaction score
Get a 6637 or donaldson, I replaced my AFE "Big Boost" filter after it dusted my turbo, though I live in pretty dusty conditions (NW Nevada).

Latest posts

Members online