toasted converter

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
looks like its time for a new converter/trans, took my truck out last night after it was acting normal the day before, i roll into the throttle on level ground with the TC locked an i can slip the converter to 550-650rpm before even reaching full throttle an its getting worse by the mile. Im running an ATS 5 star converter after already frying my stock one, truck basically slips an all tunes on my H&s except stock im running low end fuel on 5 with the 4th an 5th tc lock with the low shift point, the only weird thing is that i pulled the plug on the pan an changed my fluid the same day (no filter just pan fluid) so im wondering if that had something to do with it? also when my factory tc went it went slow an i was able to limp along for awhile on lower tunes, this convert just **** the bed all at once is that a possible sign of pump, or pressure issues in the tranny? im thinking a RCD converter, and getting on the horn with ATS once the thing is apart an seeing what they say about my warranty, 34,000 miles on the converter, 65k on the trans.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Maybe no fluid pressure to the converter? Odd that it happened after changing flash fluid... did you use the recommended fluid, proper volume as well?

Zmann

Reaction score
Maybe no fluid pressure to the converter? Odd that it happened after changing flash fluid... did you use the recommended fluid, proper volume as well?

:whs:

Mercon LV or SP

only a couple of others will work in place of those but they are approved for use where LV is specified

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
yes sir, trans is at the full mark with mercon SP fluid, put about 25 miles on the truck to be sure.there was quite abit of garbage on the magnetic plug when i pulled it, to be honest idk how much is to much but there was a significant amount, same with the previous change, i drop the pan fluid about every 15,000, over kill probably but just tryin to help the stock tranny last, i droped the pan about 30,000 miles ago an did the filter. i think its just seen better days just wierd it went all at once.

Zmann

Reaction score
ya that is bad timing

how many miles on it ?

being an 08 do you have the 5r110w with the real in pan filter or one with a divorced filter
and in pan screen ?

range91

Reaction score
Ats converter I'm sure it's toast have had **** luck with those

Last edited:

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
that ats converter was bob bitchin with spartan tuning idk much about converters an dont really have any expirience with any other brand besides ats but when that thing would lock it would chirp the tires, this H&s tuning shifts so much softer, i wonder if that helped it go? been running spartan for like 60 thousand miles an h&s for like 5,000..

Zmann

Reaction score
I wonder if any of this is similar to CCorbins issues ?

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
yeah exactly what i was thinking, maybe im hearing things but it seems like theres a rotational click click click sound coming from the bell housing area ive been hearing it for a little while now prior to the issue im having

Latest posts

Members online