torque converter issues 4r100/wiring

slim613

Reaction score
2002 350 srw so new years eve i was drivin down a dirt road got back on pavement and stoped then when i went to take off again truck died and does this every time UNLESS i plant my foot on the break so my TC wont unlock i built engine/tranny several thousand miles ago

road runner "bad boy" TC
new shift solenoid when built

i checked all connections and talked to my transmission bud he said start truck disconnect solenoid plug then try it if it dies its tranny internal if it does not its electoral

so i pulled harness out tested all (while i was there) connections but payed close attention to the TCC violet with yellow trace all looked good then i went to the truck side oh harness all looked good to pcm (swapped pcm still had same issue) so went further and found my ground it trips the breaker on my power probe when i supply power
found it goin to another connector mounded with 4 others thats mounted in a row on the finder well tested that then it goes into cab

my question is where and why? what else controls it what would need to go there yes all fuses are good i got on pro demand the looked at wiring harness diagrams but see nothing and cant find anything into the cab before i tear it completely apart when i can go to one thing were it leads too or other issues it may be

320cf30dbbc31e81d082d85640974f35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
If the TCC wire is shorted to ground the converter will be locked at all times.This will also set an electrical fault code for the TCC solenoid. Do you have this code stored? If not, then the wiring is not shorted to ground.

Did you see if it stalls with the trans connector disconnected? You don't have to start the truck then disconnect it, you can disconnect it with the engine off and still start the truck. Don't disconnect the range sensor on the driver's side of the trans, though. Only disconnect the bulkhead connector on the passenger's side of the trans.

slim613

Reaction score
i have not hooked a code reader to it cuz well i dont have one but borrowing one soon their is no check engine light BUT that dosent always mean somethin the over drive light does not flash tho (tranny codes)

yes i did test that i started truck made the truck die (cuz it dosent always untill a little bit aboyt 1/2 block away from home then it starts but i started, unpluged at solenoid then went reverse to drive multaple time moving about 3ft or so and it did not die thats what shot me to electoral

sorry it took so long to get back to ya i thought notifications were workin BUT i guess not thank you for ur reply tho!! much appreciated i think iv read some of ur post on psnation

slim613

Reaction score
and i put tduck into drive tap throttle and dead she goes not a spit sputter die i mean like someone put a gun to the pcm and pulled the trigger DEAD just quit! UNLESS i drive the break first then ease off with lots of throttle

slim613

Reaction score
been lookin for it i see 2 tcc wires every were assuming ones a ground when but been testing both as far as all the way untill they travel into the dash but they all tested fine so far and the one i assume is the ground it trips the breaker on my power probe

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
been lookin for it i see 2 tcc wires every were assuming ones a ground when but been testing both as far as all the way untill they travel into the dash but they all tested fine so far and the one i assume is the ground it trips the breaker on my power probe

Yo have a short to ground in the wire to the TCC solenoid. find someone that can fix it for you.
There is my recommendation.

slim613

Reaction score
iv been a lookin for it im just no electral goo roo one of my worst being in the field

slim613

Reaction score
yea i got that hint the first time i dont need u to repeat it

slim613

Reaction score
got torque converter cut open app 3 lock up clutches burnt up, put a new one in it and worked ok for a few miles now back to were we started

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Mark was an engineer on this transmission. If he says that wire is bad, its bad. So you cut open the old converter and found it burned up, your point, that bad wire cause of it. Now you've put a new converter in and its doing it again? I wonder why, maybe something to do with the bad wire??

Going out on a limb here and saying the tcc wiring is bad, fix it and the problem will magically fix itself...

pdumont01

Reaction score
Solenoid could be bad doesn't necessarily have to be the wire.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
got torque converter cut open app 3 lock up clutches burnt up, put a new one in it and worked ok for a few miles now back to were we started
Hmmmmm.......
You have a short to ground in the wire to the TCC solenoid. Find that and fix it, or find someone that can fix it for you.
You come here asking for advice, you get advice, ignore it, and still have a problem. Something doesn't add up here.

Arisley

Reaction score
Solenoid could be bad doesn't necessarily have to be the wire.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Check the wire, an ohm meter will test it in a second. If not that, test the solenoid pins. You will know in a heartbeat either way. My money is on a wire.

Hmmmmm.......

You come here asking for advice, you get advice, ignore it, and still have a problem. Something doesn't add up here.

Never fails to amaze me either Mark.

Latest posts

Members online