torque specs

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
What studs are u using?

I did a write up on psn with all the specs.... Should be stickied in one of the 6.0 forums

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
235ft lbs with the supplied arp lube.... Ill find the right up and torque sequence tonight n post it here

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
215 ft lbs

Arp should have provided a torque sequence in the b
Box but can be easily googled If you don't have them.

Mdub707

Reaction score
ARP says 215 ft lbs for the new ultra torque lube. The OLD spec was 245. Some guys go to the old number with the new lube etc... seems like everyone has their own spec of what they think is acceptable. I bet most of the guys going above what ARP recommends don't have any sort of calculation to prove why they go there, other than they think "more is better." I think I've only got an answer from one guy on here about why he went higher and he actually understood stud/bolt stretch and how the torque value is based off of a % of the yield number.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
210 is current ARP spec..... it always has been, at least for the last 4 years Ive been doing this..... its ALWAYS 3 EQUAL steps, 70,140,210.....

Farmrod

Reaction score
Ok I'm talking all the specs the motor is apart and at the machine shop I'm needing specs on the timing cover, lp oil pump, hp oil pump and cover, oil cooler, rocker box, valve cover, intake, water pump, oil pan all three levels, just basically everything

Chris

RescueF250

Reaction score
A lot of the older guys torque them higher then 215. I torque them to 250ft lb. Ya ARP says 215 but I've had mine fail at that. Honestly if you can do a heat cycle and check the torque would be great but that's a pain in the ars. I follow what Shawn Ellerton says, IIRC he torques his race truck to 300 maybe he'll post up. Just a theory but really doubt ARP will say 215 is max.

I know this isn't the same but somewhat the concept. In the Fire Dept our rope is rated for 9000lbs but with all our safety factors 15:1 we only put 350lbs on our rope. So there's never a chance to fail or risk. Just saying.

Any truck I work on I torque 250 and never had an issue and never came back either. Honestly I think 215 once after enough heat cycles then back off. My H-11s 8 yrs aho backed off enough where they weren't even tight anymore.

Zmann

Reaction score
Where did you get the manuals I'll just buy them

they are the OEM ford manuals it is a three set if you get the electronics manual also

it is year specific and I bought mine used from Ebay I don't know what they would cost from a dealer or if an older year would even be available ?

I would look for a set but you don't list your year

I also bought AllData the online manuals ,, not super impressed but it may also have what u need

Mdub707

Reaction score
A lot of the older guys torque them higher then 215. I torque them to 250ft lb. Ya ARP says 215 but I've had mine fail at that. Honestly if you can do a heat cycle and check the torque would be great but that's a pain in the ars. I follow what Shawn Ellerton says, IIRC he torques his race truck to 300 maybe he'll post up. Just a theory but really doubt ARP will say 215 is max.

I know this isn't the same but somewhat the concept. In the Fire Dept our rope is rated for 9000lbs but with all our safety factors 15:1 we only put 350lbs on our rope. So there's never a chance to fail or risk. Just saying.

Any truck I work on I torque 250 and never had an issue and never came back either. Honestly I think 215 once after enough heat cycles then back off. My H-11s 8 yrs aho backed off enough where they weren't even tight anymore.

ARP even had an announcement on their site previously when the torque spec was 245, aimed at 6.0 powerstroke guys saying NOT to go above that. It's not really a safety factor, they get the torque value based on the stretch of the stud, which is based on a % of the yield. It's not really hard to figure out, but you would need to know the tensile strength and all the measurements of the stud. I still never got any answers from anyone who goes above as to WHY, other than they feel more comfortable doing it. I'm waiting for the day to see a snapped stud show up on the forums, but my guess is that if someone snaps a stud from over-torquing they're not going to post a picture of their mistake.

I could see 300 ft-lbs on one of these being dangerously close to the snapping point.

MorganY

Reaction score
ARP even had an announcement on their site previously when the torque spec was 245, aimed at 6.0 powerstroke guys saying NOT to go above that. It's not really a safety factor, they get the torque value based on the stretch of the stud, which is based on a % of the yield. It's not really hard to figure out, but you would need to know the tensile strength and all the measurements of the stud. I still never got any answers from anyone who goes above as to WHY, other than they feel more comfortable doing it. I'm waiting for the day to see a snapped stud show up on the forums, but my guess is that if someone snaps a stud from over-torquing they're not going to post a picture of their mistake.

I could see 300 ft-lbs on one of these being dangerously close to the snapping point.

I am with RescueF250. I torque all sets to 250ft/lb's with new lube now. The stud won't snap. I have not had bad luck with 210 ft/lbs, I used that spec when the new lube first came out, and didn't have any problems on lightly modified and stock trucks. On higher boost applications I run them up in 6 stages to 250 ft/lbs, I like having a little more clamping force. 210 is for many many uses, and is just fine for the average stock, or lightly modified 6.0. That being said, I wouldn't feel comfortable re-using a set of ARPs torqued to 250 more than 3 times.

Shawn has said it multiple times around here "250 new lube is all you need"

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
my studs are on their 6th torque, new lube at 250 ft.lbs. No issues at all.

Farmrod

Reaction score
they are the OEM ford manuals it is a three set if you get the electronics manual also

it is year specific and I bought mine used from Ebay I don't know what they would cost from a dealer or if an older year would even be available ?

I would look for a set but you don't list your year

I also bought AllData the online manuals ,, not super impressed but it may also have what u need

I'm working on an 04 E-350 schoolbus hopefully someone here has something I called the dealer and they told me it's unavailable

weazel

Reaction score
I did 220 ft pounds, it was what was recommended by ARP, am the studs came with a torque sequence sheet in the box

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

Mdub707

Reaction score
I am with RescueF250. I torque all sets to 250ft/lb's with new lube now. The stud won't snap. I have not had bad luck with 210 ft/lbs, I used that spec when the new lube first came out, and didn't have any problems on lightly modified and stock trucks. On higher boost applications I run them up in 6 stages to 250 ft/lbs, I like having a little more clamping force. 210 is for many many uses, and is just fine for the average stock, or lightly modified 6.0. That being said, I wouldn't feel comfortable re-using a set of ARPs torqued to 250 more than 3 times.

Shawn has said it multiple times around here "250 new lube is all you need"

Right, obviously a few guys are doing it, but I still haven't been able to get anyone to show me the math on it. It just makes one wonder, when everyone suggests something but doesn't do the leg work to prove it. Obviously the trucks running that way are slowly starting to prove it, but it seems backwards thinking that way. Anyone going to 250 ft/lbs actually stopped, done the math, and figured out where they're at in relation to the yield strength of the bolt? My guess is not.

Where's the limit? 250 seems ok with the new lube... what about 275? What about 300? Where does the stud break? It doesn't actually have to "break" to yield. I'm sure it will just stretch past it's usable point first.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.