Trailer circuit issues

Tmtbob

Reaction score
Have an 08 f350 cc with a cm somewhat utility bed. The headache rack tail lights are wired on the trailer circuit and I’m blowing fuses. Never had a problem with it until I hooked up to my gooseneck trailer and it blew instantly. I figured I have a dead short in the trailer but that’s not the case. After searching for the problem I found that it is on the pickup side cause it will blow without a trailer plugged in.
I’ve checked the wiring from where it comes out of the headache rack back to the rear of the frame rails and I’m not seeing any issues. The trailer plugs appear fine and I did rewire some shoddy joints in the back hoping I had it fixed with bad wires cause it wasn’t blowing fuses anymore. New fuse lasted a few days and it’s back to a dead short again.
I’ve eliminated different things for them to pop back up as a possibility again with it blowing fuses then it will quit and work for a bit.
Those jcase fuses are expensive so I wired it up for a blade fuse until this is fixed and I had it working this morning with all lights on. I had to jump my pickup due to me running the battery’s down and after I got it running it did fine for a few minutes then blew the fuse. I go to put another fuse in with the lights on and engine running and it melts the blade on the fuse without blowing it. Checked with a voltmeter and I’m over 14.5 volts on the circuit. Check the batteries and they are also over 14.5 with engine running. Shut it off and it quits blowing fuses. Now I’m confused. Could a voltage regulator cause my issue if the alternator is overcharging. I’m not sure where to go from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmtbob

Reaction score
Update :

I was hoping there was a weak spot in the wiring someone could point me to when I started this but I found and fixed the issue. I went looking for a dead short cause my experience pointed me in that direction.
As for the possible overcharging, I didn’t dig any deeper into this so I still might have a problem.
I started pulling the main harness loose on the driver side frame rail. Everything was fine from the plug on the driver side to the trailer plugs. No obvious signs of an issue so I pulled the wheel well and fuse block out without seeing problems there. I started taking apart the wire looms from the fuse block to the main plug and found the issue. It had a bad spot on top of the shock tower in the loom. Got it fixed and all the wires tied back up again and good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.