Trans line radiator connection...

bkingsoda

Reaction score
So... It appears that where my trans line meets the radiator on the driver side its leaking just a bit. Seems to have maybe gotten a little worse. Thought I had it stopped for a while with a little wiggle. Haven't been able to get a straight answer on how that connection actually works. The plastic clip is in place but I can't figure out how to stop the leak. Any thoughts?

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Leaking coolant or trans fluid? The plastic clip is just a safety lock, it requires a trans line disconnect tool to remove the line. Once removed, there is an adapter that goes through the rad end tank and into the internal trans cooler.

reilly8282

Reaction score
They have little rubber washers that the connector sandwiches the radiator wall between the cooler and the connector if it is leaking coolant and a little circle spring holding like a rubber washer for the actual tranny line. I found out the sandwiches washer thing the hard way...

bkingsoda

Reaction score
Sorry guys... Its leaking trans fluid it appears. That's why I'm confused.

Gary

Reaction score
Does it have the plastic coupler on it? Those are actually ment to keep the trans lines form wiggling/working and wearing out the o-ring.

bkingsoda

Reaction score
The plastic clip is there. That's why I can't figure out why its leaking. Is there an oring there that could be bad? This started after my cab came off... Part number for the oring? Or a breakdown of what that connection actually looks like?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
yes it is a jiffy tite style fitting
here is the tool
th?id=H.4951728941761673&pid=1.jpg

bkingsoda

Reaction score
Interesting... Never seen that tool or taken one of those connections apart. Maybe fixing this leak isn't going to be so easy after all.

Mdub707

Reaction score
When I just had my buddy do my headstuds, he couldn't even get the quick connect fitting's apart on mine, so he just unthreaded them out of the radiator. Put it back together and the radiator had cracked right there. Just ended up buying a new radiator and went ahead and replaced those trans lines too since they were looking pretty crappy.

Point is, if you're in crappy conditions like I drive in here in upstate NY, it may be a beeoch getting those fittings apart too.

bkingsoda

Reaction score
Radiator is relatively new. Had my studs done about 3 months ago. Not sure if he had any trouble with that connection. I'll be sure to check with him.