Transmission Building

boostemup73

Reaction score
Gotta 02 7.3 automatic that needs a tranny rebuild and had a few questions..
-one person i talk to says you need a special(s) tool and another one says you dont.. so what is it?
-how hard is it to do just the clutch packs and a transgo shift kit? gotta couple buddies that went to school to be a diesel tech who would do this
-and what torque converter to go with? was debating between a midwest(if anyones ever even heard of them) and a suncoast

02 crew cab long bed
5" straight pipe
stage II injectors
compressor wheel
tymar intake
DP tuner

dave186

Reaction score
yes it takes some special tools, I built my own though. too expensive to buy if your just doing your own trans. I did buy a snap press for the clutch packs, it was worth it and ive done a few trans for friends now as well.

Its real hard to find info on doing tranny work yourself, go pick up an ATSG book and it will give you enough of an idea if you want to tear into it yourself.

davey99ps

Reaction score
I just had mine built. Initially I was going to do it myself, but I found a guy that was local and came highly recommended. I ordered all billet shafts and red alto disks and steels, and my builder only charged me $150 to tear it down an reassembled it. I figured for that little bit, it wasn't worth me screwing around with it

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I just had mine built. Initially I was going to do it myself, but I found a guy that was local and came highly recommended. I ordered all billet shafts and red alto disks and steels, and my builder only charged me $150 to tear it down an reassembled it. I figured for that little bit, it wasn't worth me screwing around with it

Holy crap man, you got a heck of a deal. That's a decent amount of work.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Holy crap man, you got a heck of a deal. That's a decent amount of work.

That was labor only, i provided the parts, but I thought it was a good deal. I've done a few rebuilds on my own, an I'm sure I could of stumbled my way through this 1, but for the money it just didn't make sense for me to mess with it. I dropped it off on a Wednesday an told him to get to it when he had time, the next afternoon it was done an I was installing it back in the truck.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
That was labor only, i provided the parts, but I thought it was a good deal. I've done a few rebuilds on my own, an I'm sure I could of stumbled my way through this 1, but for the money it just didn't make sense for me to mess with it. I dropped it off on a Wednesday an told him to get to it when he had time, the next afternoon it was done an I was installing it back in the truck.

So what parts did you use? I'm thinking of having a local guy a few people have used if I can get a decent proce on parts and I would like to run ood parts so I'm looking around trying tomsee where people are getting their parts from

boostemup73

Reaction score

Where is this guy out of?

Jet Fuel

Reaction score
I've done it before without the special tools, but i have some experience rebuilding them. I wouldn't want to tackle it my first time in without the tools, but it can be done.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Is it his side job?

Negative, he specializes in doing trannys for fleets, but also does normal customers to as far as I know. I've put about 2-300mi on my new trans so far, and I'm 100% satisfied. Shifts great under light throttle and wot. I'll definitely have him build the trans for my fummins also

Latest posts

Members online