Transmission Leak

White Stallion

Reaction score
Well my 5r110 has began to leak fluid from what appears to be the rear of the pan. Never overheated or abused. Got home yesterday from a trip around town and the rear bumper is wet. Crawl under the truck and the rear of the pan and transfer case are soaked.

Today I pressure washed everything put about a 1/2 quart in it and let it idle for about 30 minutes (no leak). Took it for a drive (1 mile) and fluid if coming from rear of pan (appears to be the passenger side closest to my 5" exhaust pipe). Leaked about 1/2 quart on the ground and more on the crossmember and toward rear end.

I shut it down and checked the pan bolts (all were within spec). I located a small amount of fluid on the shelf above the pan where the pan bolts go through case on the passenger side but it seems to have splashed up there after hitting the exhaust pipe.

I bought a new filter and pan gasket but located some stuff online that said the wiring harness oring on the passenger side likes to leak which I'm not able to check until tomorrow and also something about a reverse snap ring coming loose and cracking the case but all gears work fine with no slipping and fluid looks and smells great so I don't suspect the second issue.

Have any of you guys had a similar issue. Where should I start? I don't want to change the fluid and filter only to have to do it again because the gasket wasn't the issue. This fluid is kinda pricey. Thanks for any and all help. If y'all need some pics I can snap some tomorrow.

swinky

Reaction score
Find the leak first. Be careful with the bolts they do like to strip. If all else fails Ford grey rtv will stop Damn near any leak.

White Stallion

Reaction score
Okay it's been a while but turned out the case has a hole in it. So now I need a transmission. I have future plans of injectors and larger Turbo. Probably around 600 hp so if I'm gonna spend the money I might as w ell only do it once. Where do you guys recommend a transmission from?
43eba6474584742e12d01d741a83ac5f.jpg
4e2c0f829d598e488d7d458f74c5617b.jpg

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
i personally run a trans built by Morgan @ Midwest Diesel 217-691-1909 and love it.

White Stallion

Reaction score
Thanks Sootie, what kind of money am I looking at. I have about 5k to spend right now and I have another transmission to us for a core.

swinky

Reaction score
You can get a twisted stage 3 for right around 5k. 3yr 100k mile warranty. Mine is doing awesome.

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks Sootie, what kind of money am I looking at. I have about 5k to spend right now and I have another transmission to us for a core.

call him. tell him what you want and he will quote. basically, pick and choose what you want done to the trans in keeping with your budget.

Latest posts

Members online