Transmission oils

smokey97

Reaction score
What is the general consensus on what type of automatic transmission oil or additives to run. I've got a '97 4X4 w/200k. I only put about 10k miles a year on it, most of which are pulling something. I'm opposed to synthetic oils in general, I don't think that they would be worth it.

smokey97

Reaction score
I think that's where I'm headed. Valvoline Max Life looks like a good, cheap route. $40 for 9qts at Wal Mart, and its synthetic. I know I said I'm opposed to synthetics, but I was really thinking of the amsoil type brands for twice the price and they're not as readily available.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
i have the max life in my truck and ive had no issues. id recomend draining the torque converter also. that will drain out about another 8-10 qts

DIE5EL

Reaction score
When i had my input shaft out to replace, I drained everything and filled it up with John deere low viscosity hyd oil. I work for deere and get it cheap. Other wise it would be pretty expensive to do, but IMO it was worth it. I added a quart of Merc to dye it red so I could see it better. Any of the above would be just fine.

Latest posts

Members online