Transmission question

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Hello all. Ive been ghost reading for the past few months, and have been quiet, but now i have a question.

For the past two months, my truck has been slipping randomly, and i think is time that i do something about it before it leaves the family stranded. It all started when i pulled my SRL, and towed a load in tow tune. When i reloaded SRL the following symptoms appeared. From second to third gear, my transmission will slip, then "bang" into gear. This happens randomly and only at intermediate throttle position. When cruising around town, it will not do it, and when pulling at WOT, it wont do it. In the past two months it has done it around 5-6 times.

Im wondering if its my TC going out. I thought about installing a new silenoid from GoGo, but its more than a "flare" now. I dont have a whole lot of coin to drop into the trans right now, so i need to get some options together. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I can't see how it could be the torque converter. The torque converter is not involved with the shifting of the transmission.

My guess is that the transmission adaptive software has learned something wrong. Whatever an SRL is might have affected it, and towing in a tow tune can affect it. Try disconnecting the batteries so that it will start the learning process over again. Short term this might make it worse, but over time it should improve it.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Mark, the SRL is a Gearhead street performance tune on the sct.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Mark i thought it was a "slip bang". Thats really the only way i can describe it. My thoughts were that the TC was slipping then catching.

yeehaw

Reaction score
my orange truck always did it on me, just figured it was from me beating the hell out of it. When i bought the dually it did it, all stock, figured it was just a 5R thing. BUT since i put the srl tune in the truck has not done it since.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I dont beat my truck though. Not to mention, it doesnt really get driven during the week.

When the transmission catches after slipping, it spams hard enough to bark the tires. I dont know how else to explain it. This isnt a "normal" thing.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I know what a slip bang is, you've described it very well. It isn't the torque converter. The problem is in the transmission. I gave you a recommendation, until you try that I don't have any other suggestions.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Mark thanks, i wasnt implying that you didnt understand. Apologies.

I will be trying the battery trick this weekend when i get a chance.

Latest posts

Members online