Transmission swap Questions..

douger0500

Reaction score
Okay, so I have an 03 f350 powerstroke. I was in the middle of a burnout while the trucks rpm's jumped to 2200... It was just climbing past 1700 before it let loose... It shuttered badly afterwards.. I figured it was smoked and the torque converter jumped and ate the pump..

Had a job in Raleigh, 60 miles there 60 back. It started acting perfectly fine.. Then it was locked in forward gear. Would shift, but even in park it was attempting to go forward. I pulled the trans, and have a low mileage van trans ready to go in.

After removal I inspected the torque converter. It appears fine no sign of wear.

So my question is about flushing and install of new trans.

Is new cooler necessary or is a good flushing with new filters and the inline magna filter from napa gonna work? Everything is out and ready to go back in..

Flushing procerdure? In a can flush? air and brake cleaner? What works for you guys?

Mercon sp isn't the cheapest..

Transmission cooler from tousley is 285 dollars without shipping.

douger0500

Reaction score
Also I've read several times people are failing to put the torque converter on all the way. What is the procedure to make sure it is Right!?

Thanks!

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
In my opinion a new cooler is needed. I do not believe there is any way to effectively flush it.

Turn the trans on end so that the bellhousing is up. Install the converter. Rotate it until it falls in four times. The front face of the converter MUST be below the surface of the bellhousing.

loboost

Reaction score
Raleigh nc? Where you located? I'm about 50 miles from Raleigh.

sent while driving recklessly

douger0500

Reaction score
Yeah bud! We are down in Sanford nc. Have a small metal fab slash import performance thing going on the other side of the shop. Anything you could need help with or just want to check us out be sure to give me a hollar!

Mark under the circumstances I was hoping for a cheap and easy alternative. I'm basically gambling with a thousand dollars right now. Between used tranny, fluids, filters, and cooler.. Not guaranteed of anything working. I want to know if there is any way I can clean the crucial internals of the transmission and access all fluids to drain. Maybe clean torque converter better?

Or just let it ride and slap it all together?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
To clean the internals of the trans, take it out of the truck. Tear it down, clean it, and reassemble it.

Cleaning the torque converter is a bit harder. You need to put it on a lathe, cut it open, clean it, and reweld it. A good transmission shop can do that for you.

douger0500

Reaction score
Mark! Okay so I have been out poking around from transmission shop to transmission shop.

Biggest question is how to go about flushing the water to oil cooler.

Negative consequences from filtering coolant on return are reduction in pressure on return?

I would almost like to filter the return just for extra protection.

I need a cooler or to filter return. Is there an aftermarket cooler that is acceptable? Also if trans turns out to not work will it trash my new cooler? With new filters and all?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
That should do a good job of destroying your transmission. It is MUCH smaller than a 6.0L cooler, plus it has 3/8" fittings. The cooler and cooling lines in your truck are 1/2". If you restrict it to 3/8" you are going to restrict the flow enough that you probably will have lube issues. The trans won't last long with the lube restricted.

Biggest question is how to go about flushing the water to oil cooler.
As I've said before I don't know of an effective way to flush it.

Negative consequences from filtering coolant on return are reduction in pressure on return?
That's right. See above.

I need a cooler or to filter return. Is there an aftermarket cooler that is acceptable?
Not to me. I am not aware of an aftermarket cooler that can do the job of the stock cooler.
Also if trans turns out to not work will it trash my new cooler? With new filters and all?
Yes it will.

Latest posts

Members online