Transmission Troubles.

edge186

Reaction score
4R100 Troubles...

My 01 has a factory re-man in it with approx 60-70k miles. Within the last year I installed a BTS valve body and a 6.0 TC. The truck ran great for quite a while. Shifted awesome. I did, however, notice a slight vibration from the tranny right around 2100 RPM in any gear as long as I was accelerating. I didn't think this was a major issue so I never did anything about it. I just learned to ease off the throttle slightly to avoid it.

Over the last few months, however, I've noticed this vibration to be getting quite a bit worse. While accelerating, (by this I mean nearly WOT) It both feels and sounds like I'm driving on a rumble strip. It only lasts a few seconds or so, but it is very noticeable in all gears (2-4).

Any ideas?

The TC is supposed to be a 6.0 converter with a 7.3 face on it. It came from Tymar Performance. I am going to give him a call in the morning to see if he has any insight on the matter.

Last edited:

caladash

Reaction score
How many miles on the truck? Are all the u joints and center support bearing good? I would check them for excessive play.

edge186

Reaction score
How many miles on the truck? Are all the u joints and center support bearing good? I would check them for excessive play.

114k on the truck. Good call, I will check them first thing tomorrow.

I just don't understand why it only does it for a few seconds after each shift. It seems like it stops right about when the converter should be locking up.

Racer X

Reaction score
My 01 has a factory re-man in it with approx 60-70k miles. Within the last year I installed a BTS valve body and a 6.0 TC. The truck ran great for quite a while. Shifted awesome. I did, however, notice a slight vibration from the tranny right around 2100 RPM in any gear as long as I was accelerating. I didn't think this was a major issue so I never did anything about it. I just learned to ease off the throttle slightly to avoid it.

Over the last few months, however, I've noticed this vibration to be getting quite a bit worse. While accelerating, (by this I mean nearly WOT) It both feels and sounds like I'm driving on a rumble strip. It only lasts a few seconds or so, but it is very noticeable in all gears (2-4).

Any ideas?

The TC is supposed to be a 6.0 converter with a 7.3 face on it. It came from Tymar Performance. I am going to give him a call in the morning to see if he has any insight on the matter.

"It only lasts a few seconds or so, but it is very noticeable in all gears (2-4)" and was noticed after installation does make the converter a very likely suspect as the cause of the rumble. In particular, these converters do have problems.

When they cut the 6.0 converter to put a 7.3 cover on it, enough material was lost to make very accurate re-balancing impossible. The 7.3 cover is not an exact match to the 6.0 internal components either. Ask Tymar if the place jig-rigging these converters together has balancing equipment and what type.

This is why you should only buy transmission related components and accessories from people who build transmissions and other powertrain components as their full time profession. We build both custom transmissions and torque converters. They are a full time profession, that's why there are nationwide stock transmission franchise's like Aamco that only work on one thing--stock transmissions.

The 6.0 converter above will only hold around 400 horsepower behind a 7.3 if balance is not far out of spec.

You could have bought our Eagle X6TC converter for only about $100 more. It's an all new full billet, triple disk converter (not a ford re-man like the 6.0 to 7.3 conversion converter is made of.) We can customize the Eagle to 6.0 specs for the same price by request and they will hold 600 to 900 horsepower! A minimum of 200 more horsepower without vibrations than the best 6.0 converter with a 7.3 face on it can take for about $100 more. Now you know why I refer to the 6.0 to 7.3 converted converters as jig-rigged together compared to ours. LOL :D :) If you only knew the giant difference in quality between them, you'd be crazy not to get ours instead for $100 more.

A re-manned tranny and converter means you get used parts same as a junk yard has but they are cleaned up.... :doh: Even used clutches are put back in a re-man.... :doh: :jawdrop:

Next in quality is a stock rebuild.

Then there are full custom builds for performance.
There is a world of differences between each.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.