Transmission woes...

Jesse

Reaction score
My 5r110 decided to let me down yesterday. Had to get it towed back to the house.

Here's what happened:

I was going about 50mph and was slowing down. torque converter was locked. Now, my TC always unlocks around 45mph or if i let off the throttle... but this time i lost all power to the wheels. Absolutely nothing. Got her over to the side of to road safely and tried different gears. when i put it in drive or reverse i can feel a little bump but when i hit the throttle it goes nowhere and the tow/haul light starts flashing. fluid levels are fine and smells normal.

Now flashback to last weekend: i was towing my boat which is only maybe 4000-5000#. i went to use my tow/haul, mainly for the engine braking, but as soon as i let off the throttle instead of holding that gear and using the engine braking, it simply quit working and the light started flashing. everything continued working fine i just didn't have tow/haul mode. Truck ran fine all last week as well. i kinda forgot about it and went about my business.

Now back to today. talked to my ford dealer friend and he said it could be the wiring harness inside the transmission, given all the symptoms. so i drained the fluid, dropped the pan and checked all the wires i could see. fluid looked fine and relatively clean. nothing looked bad to me so i cleaned up everything and put it all back together. started it up and still have the same problem.

truck is a 2006 f-250 CCSB fx4 157xxx on the clock. mods are generally mild: intake, exhaust, arps, SCT with custom innovative tunes. last full transmission service was done at the dealer with 100k miles. also note, i pretty much run the extreme race file all the time.

Any ideas? any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
So you dropped the pan, then put it back without checking the harness? Why? Just looking at the wires doesn't mean anything. That's no better than just looking at the pan without removing it.

You could drop the pan again and use a voltmeter to check the harness. Or you could start this the smart way by having the codes read so that you know where to start.

Jesse

Reaction score
So you dropped the pan, then put it back without checking the harness? Why? Just looking at the wires doesn't mean anything. That's no better than just looking at the pan without removing it.

You could drop the pan again and use a voltmeter to check the harness. Or you could start this the smart way by having the codes read so that you know where to start.

Unfortunately I did not have a volt meter. My knowledge of the internals of the 5r110 are very limited at best. This was my first time dropping the pan myself. I can probably handle removing the harness myself, but is there anything in particular I should be looking for when testing it with a volt meter other than continuity of the wires? There appears to be quite a few circuits in there.

I think my best option is to have the dealer run some diagnostics. My only issue is the only dealer I trust is about 1.5 hours away. I do have a truck and trailer at work I can use though. Or, if the harness is reasonably enough priced, I might just replace it and see if anything happens.

Thanks for the help.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Whats the verdict. Mine is acting the same way. Im considering just building a tranny and doing a swap.

Jesse

Reaction score
Whats the verdict. Mine is acting the same way. Im considering just building a tranny and doing a swap.

Had a friend come out last friday who just got one of those new latest and greatest computers from snap-on. couldnt find anything in the transmission. all the solenoids "appeared" to be operating fine.

decided to not take it to any transmission shops here in sarasota, i got too many mixed reviews. i got it on a trailer saturday and took it to a good friend of mines dealership so at least i know its in good hands now. hopefully i'll know something tomorrow.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Keep us posted. Im in the proccess of dripping mine, and just building it so i dont have to do it again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.