Traveling thru nanny states. Would a compound fix the issue?

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I'm considering a trip up North where I'd need to cross PA, NY and MA on the way. I have read about horror stories where trucks that were put on a diet puffed a little smoke at the wrong time and ended up impounded, fined, bla bla bla, etc. Needless to say I wish to avoid this.

My mods are in my sig, but the gist of it is that just as it's climbing some sort of hill and goes to downshift it puffs some smoke. I don't roll coal or anything and it's really pretty clean 99% of the time (unless I lay into it.) There's also some hazing at idle sometimes.

I'm wondering if a compound would eliminate this issue or do I need to take it up with the tuning company or should I forget such a trip as it's impossible to get a truck like this to not smoke?

TIA as always.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I'm considering a trip up North where I'd need to cross PA, NY and MA on the way. I have read about horror stories where trucks that were put on a diet puffed a little smoke at the wrong time and ended up impounded, fined, bla bla bla, etc. Needless to say I wish to avoid this.

My mods are in my sig, but the gist of it is that just as it's climbing some sort of hill and goes to downshift it puffs some smoke. I don't roll coal or anything and it's really pretty clean 99% of the time (unless I lay into it.) There's also some hazing at idle sometimes.

I'm wondering if a compound would eliminate this issue or do I need to take it up with the tuning company or should I forget such a trip as it's impossible to get a truck like this to not smoke?

TIA as always.

Compounds won’t help at all with the puff from take off. In my experience it actually slows spool up be 2-300 rpm’s, which in theory would make it worse. If you’re running clean in the top there wouldn’t be much of a gain.

I’d try contacting the tuner, and/or dropping it to a lower tune or a stock power level tune and see how it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Reaction score
Unless you're acting the fool, I wouldn't sweat it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

doo dah

Reaction score
When I have mine on the tow tune it runs very clean, even in the mountains with 15k pound fiver behind me and a non VGT. So a milder tune will help if you are really concerned.

Latest posts

Members online