trips tuning

Reaction score
I agree. But the timing table on the hd300 tune was designed for a stock component truck. Bigger injectors and higher injection pressures add timing I'm told. So given the already high timing table I'm lowering it some. As it is now the turbos light considerably quicker then ever before, as well as a overall more powerful feeling power curve.

Sent from my subconscious to your screen.

Doesn't matter what injectors or any RP u run. The timing is only when it starts the injection even. If it's starts at 18* before top dead center it's will begin injection at that point whether it has stock or 100%'s. Lowering the pw and pulling some mass fuel desired on the top end will help with power and drive ability. At 5k rpm I'm running 30 deg and with the latest tune it's rescaled to run 40 deg at 6k rpm. Most people would never do that. The hot timing at 18 table you will never hit any way unless your engine is hot. I've pulled that table down into the one below it. It helped to get some timing in on that. But a lot of what I do is just competition stuff. I don't recommend more than 22* on stock rods, even then I leave it at the top end of the curve where it's needed. Not that much needs to change at the lower rpm. Most custom tuners run 20-22* on these trucks it seems.

Right now my biggest hurdle is the MAF. Right now it's only reading half of what the truck is actually pulling in and affecting lots of things. I now the MAF can be tuned around with a lot of trial and error and experience. From what I've read tho, all the mm^3 table adjustment you can obsess over will never replace what a MAF can do. Especially in a diesel.

I'm looking forward to a solution hopefully soon!!

Yeah for street driving the maf makes it a little nicer. Although it been done without, it's not worth the effort.

Kind

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what injectors or any RP u run. The timing is only when it starts the injection even. If it's starts at 18* before top dead center it's will begin injection at that point whether it has stock or 100%'s. Lowering the pw and pulling some mass fuel desired on the top end will help with power and drive ability. At 5k rpm I'm running 30 deg and with the latest tune it's rescaled to run 40 deg at 6k rpm. Most people would never do that. The hot timing at 18 table you will never hit any way unless your engine is hot. I've pulled that table down into the one below it. It helped to get some timing in on that. But a lot of what I do is just competition stuff. I don't recommend more than 22* on stock rods, even then I leave it at the top end of the curve where it's needed. Not that much needs to change at the lower rpm. Most custom tuners run 20-22* on these trucks it seems.

Yeah for street driving the maf makes it a little nicer. Although it been done without, it's not worth the effort.

Thanks for the info!

Kind

Reaction score
Been back at it lately after replacing a tranny and going to a 13" DPC TC vs the 12". Toyed around with PW, timing and mass fuel commanded in an effort to get quicker spool up. But non of it has been as helpful as today... I emailed Bentley about rescaling my MAF. He was directing me towards a folder my MCC program didn't have... Which kinda made it hard to find lol. He then told me to update my "definition files" and then I had a few more folders to work with. I now had access to rescale my MAF!! I did this under "Sensor interpretation/Map to convert frequency to MAF rate." I doubled the table and now the throttle is instantly reacting, running cleaner, lower egt's and builds boost better.

Now I have to go back and modify a few tables to compensate that the truck now sees twice the air flow rate as before. Timing as well as Mass fuel commanded and the smoke limitation maps are my primary focus for the moment as I can still hinder the turbo spool if I apply to much throttle to soon below 10psi. Above 10psi and these turbos will clean up all the fuel I can give them. I'm happy with my modified FRP and HD300 performance base PW. I don't plan on adjusting these for now.

B585Ford

Reaction score
That's awesome to hear....I haven't updated the MCC part since I downloaded it originally. I kinda hit a brick wall (nothing I was doing was helping) after a while. Good to hear, that there are probably several variable/tables that I have never adjusted.

TD-5

Reaction score
Man, this is great stuff, makes my head hurt just like trade school did many years ago LOL. Can someone explain how to read the MAF/frequency table. I can't get my head around how both the X & Y axis can represent the frequency output signal to the ECM?
Once the ECM recieves the frequency signal which represents a given Mass of Air flowing, what does it use this information to control ?

Attachments

• MAF frequency.jpg
    MAF frequency.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Kind

Reaction score
So it's been a while since I updated this thread. I have been constantly tinkering and learning along the way and now that I've done 60ish revisions I'm getting really satisfied with my results. This is where I am at today.

Pulse width was narrowed bellow half throttle by 10%. Rail pressure was raised, timing was raised after being retarded. MAF was rescaled. Shift points were moved around to work better with the turbos as was the tc lock up and unlock.

2761afc04c79c1c4bfb32f93693530ab.jpg

e3667930ad0739ccf41c7ce8db64c905.jpg

58e723e4b659af6e075ccbc12d46b5e9.jpg

3c3d9fced50d59e6f24935caebc8633c.jpg

1623b606b32c1e139f2f73bbc189315d.jpg

e22f681589f3c9003539427b07ec30f8.jpg

757728dfa6200cc9b9d3da0c6d3a7f6d.jpg

3f8877d05ddf564c37ea7553bac2154a.jpg

9749f2bf40573218e93d649080b84c0c.jpg

Pulling pw out bellow half throttle really made a difference in how the turbos light. It helped cut back on smoke but didn't make the truck feel sleepy. I could still pull some more out between 2000-2500 rpm and I will try it soonish. FYI the injectors I'm using for reference sake is the elite 110's. Smaller injectors won't need to pull pw but bigger injectors may need more, depending on your turbos and other environmental factors.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Don't forget to update some vids...I love seeing this truck in action.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
you went **** your couch mode on that LBF! :eek:

I can see how your trans shifting setup makes it possible to drive around though

Kind

Reaction score
you went **** your couch mode on that LBF! :eek:

I can see how your trans shifting setup makes it possible to drive around though

LBF??

My trans shifting is more about maximizing the cam and turbos. If I drive reasonable it shifts easy, until the TC locks up then it makes your head snap back.

Kind

Reaction score
Never mind lol. Low boost fuelling. And yes I said FYC because anything less then that and the truck turns into a smokey turd.

I found my best solution was to shorten the injection duration to get the smoke limited and the turbos to start signing earlier.

Last edited:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I've got a question/suggestion for you.

Do you leave the coast clutch engaged in lower gears? IE "Engine Braking"

I like leaving it engaged in all gears or all gears above 2 or 3. It keeps some RPM while coasting in town, so when you get back on the pedal, the RPM is already right there, so you carry a little more turbine RPM. Helps get you into boost a little quicker in those situations.

Something you might try if you haven't already

Kind

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion! I'm gonna try it out.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
the way your trans shifting is set up, I'm not sure how you'll like it since you're always locked up in gear, but I like it in my tunes to help cut soot by another small amount

I modeled a tune after your setup, and I honestly didn't get a lot of seat time with it before going back to my other tune. Mixed with my driving style, it's pretty dirty LOL

I might have to play with some U shaped downshift lines or something.

I'm sure I could learn to drive it, and I can definitely appreciate the performance aspect of it, especially when you've got a lot of turbo to light!

Kind

Reaction score
I tried it and like it so far.

Regarding my tune tho I would assume it wouldn't run the same in a different turbo/fuelled truck. But I'm 20 revisions past what I have posted here and the truck is running a lot different. I re-did my torque management tables and that really help me out... Evened out the injection duration table and rail pressure tables. Lately I've been trying to figure out my timing situation. The stock tables were to all over the place so I evened them out too. However after reading more EFI live stuff I'm really wanting a timing calculator. Right now I'm just doing my best to balance pw, rail psi, noise, smoke, egt's, boost and load by ear and feel.

When I have a few more minutes I will post up my current tables.

Kind

Reaction score
This is where my tuning is as of three days ago.

2464dafb6636418ea4b275d3bcb2b15d.jpg

b41eac229f9ebc0e7fd985adee4db3e5.jpg

4e611aeeb53d89e3d12d2e8e9492e3f8.jpg

f2192873b4699341e3bf66bc6f15e0ad.jpg

ba4bcfab0258abba2d8c7970f486b4ec.jpg

9d90001cc800962e0fd70354eb2fe614.jpg

3ed3bc4c60459207da55bc88a6efbebb.jpg

eb63862a30a56c31effd23a10d919315.jpg

Fuel mileage sucks lol. Town driving with mixed highway it gets 15mpg. Egt's at 70mph is around 730 when its above 70 outside.

Power is great! Max boost I've seen is 70psi. Cruising boost is 2.5psi. Turbos light instantly in lower gears and come on very fast in 5th once I'm above 2200rpm.

My airdog 165 wasn't able to supple enough fuel for my dragonfire and elite 60's so I swapped it out for a fass titanium 260. I have seen full rail pressure at 2.1pw with this new pump.

I'd like to see my egt's come down some. Best I've had it was high 600's but with so little fuel it made it a real lazy driver. Max egt's at full boost is 1400.

Overall it runs real strong down low but I think these turbos could handle more fuel.

Kind

Reaction score
Why the choppy idle?

I'm assuming to much fuel at the low load ranges. It only does it after sitting overnight and for the first 30 seconds after turning it over. I could pull some fuel out but I like how it drives.

Unless someone tells me it's real hard on the motor I'm probably gonna leave it lol.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.